Subject: Re: bug#28119: 26.0.50; TRAMP: Can't open "/sudo::/tmp" after (tramp-change-syntax 'simplified)
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:21:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dima Kogan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi.

Hi Dima,

> I'm running a bleeding-edge build of emacs from git. I turned on
> what I thought was the old-style TRAMP syntax by evaluating
>
>   (tramp-change-syntax 'simplified)
>
> This gives me the old syntax for ssh, but other modes don't work
> anymore. For instance, trying to open /sudo::/whatever now tries to
> contact an ssh server named "sudo". Is this expected? Is the 'simplified
> syntax not an old-style compability syntax?

`simplified' is not an old-style compatibility. The "old-style" syntax,
allowing the method name to be optional, has been thrown away
completely. You use now either "/method:user@host:" as the changed
default syntaxw (user and host are optional), or "/user@host:" as the
symplified syntax (user being optional). Simplified syntax looks similar
to the old ange-ftp syntax.

With the simplified syntax, you declare your default method via
`tramp-default-method-alist' or `tramp-default-method'.

I'm marking this ticket as notabug and closed, but of course we could
continue to discuss how to optimize your settings.

Best regards, Michael.