Subject: sed is limited to 24 patterns when using the delete command
From: jean-christophe manciot <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 15:35:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

sed (GNU sed) 4.4

*With 24 patterns, sed filters correctly 'build-aux':*
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src# find -L -path
'./*/build-*.sh' 2>/dev/null | sed -E '/\.gd.*$/d;
/.*git-Tao_Te_eChing.*$/d; /.*\.gnupg.*$/d; /.*google-chrome.*$/d;
/.*\.gpg$/d; /.*_key.*$/d; /.*\/\.key.*$/d; /.*\/key.*$/d; /.*\.key$/d;
/.*_Key.*$/d; /.*\..*\.luks$/d; /.*OAuth2.*$/d; /.*\/\.passwd.*$/d;
/.*\/passwd.*$/d; /.*\/\.password.*$/d; /.*\/password.*$/d; /.*\.pem$/d;
/.*\.ssh.*$/d; /.*\/tmp.*$/d; /.*\/Trash.*$/d; /.*Webmin.*$/d; /.*xca.*$/d;
/.*build-area.*$/d; /.*build-aux.*$/d' | grep -- "build-aux"
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src#

*With 25 patterns, sed fails to filter 'build-aux*':
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src# find -L -path
'./*/build-*.sh' 2>/dev/null | sed -E '/.*ExpressVPN/client\..*$/d;
/\.gd.*$/d; /.*git-Tao_Te_eChing.*$/d; /.*\.gnupg.*$/d;
/.*google-chrome.*$/d; /.*\.gpg$/d; /.*_key.*$/d; /.*\/\.key.*$/d;
/.*\/key.*$/d; /.*\.key$/d; /.*_Key.*$/d; /.*\..*\.luks$/d; /.*OAuth2.*$/d;
/.*\/\.passwd.*$/d; /.*\/passwd.*$/d; /.*\/\.password.*$/d;
/.*\/password.*$/d; /.*\.pem$/d; /.*\.ssh.*$/d; /.*\/tmp.*$/d;
/.*\/Trash.*$/d; /.*Webmin.*$/d; /.*xca.*$/d; /.*build-area.*$/d;
/.*build-aux.*$/d' | grep -- "build-aux"
./GTK-VNC/git-gtk-vnc/build-aux/ltmain.sh
./Xtables/xtables-addons/debian/xtables-addons-dkms/usr/src/xtables-addons-2.12/build-aux/ltmain.sh
./Xtables/xtables-addons/build-aux/ltmain.sh
...

*With the same 25 patterns grep filters correctly 'build-aux':*
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src# find -L -path
'./*/build-*.sh' 2>/dev/null | grep -vP --
'.*ExpressVPN/client\..*$|\.gd.*$|.*git-Tao_Te_eChing.*$|.*\.gnupg.*$|.*google-chrome.*$|.*\.gpg$|.*_key.*$|.*\/\.key.*$|.*\/key.*$|.*\.key$|.*_Key.*$|.*\..*\.luks$|.*OAuth2.*$|.*\/\.passwd.*$|.*\/passwd.*$|.*\/\.password.*$|.*\/password.*$|.*\.pem$|.*\.ssh.*$|.*\/tmp.*$|.*\/Trash.*$|.*Webmin.*$|.*xca.*$|.*build-area.*$|.*build-aux.*$'
| grep -- "build-aux"
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src#

It's strange that 24 is the limit.
-- 
Jean-Christophe Manciot