Subject: Re: [bug#27888] [PATCH 01/18] gnu: python@3: Update to 3.6.2.
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 00:30:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Marius and Leo,
>
>> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:07:18PM +0200, Marius Bakke wrote:
>>>> * gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-fix-tests.patch: Rename to ...
>>>> * gnu/packages/patches/python-3-fix-tests.patch: ... this. Adjust and disable
>>>> more tests.
>>>> * gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-getentropy-on-old-kernels.patch: Delete file.
>>>
>>> I'm curious, do you know if they handled this issue upstream in a
>>> reliable way, or is getentropy() simply unused in Python 3.6?
>>
>> The getentropy fix for 3.5 was a port of "random.c" from 3.6 + the fix %
>> 3.5 specific behaviour. Since 3.6.2 was just released it should have
>> it. Most hunks are there, but didn't verify all.
>>
>>> Also, do you have any idea about the state of the bytecode timestamp
>>> issue, which is related to the problem with the bytecode cache? I can
>>> work on that on python-updates when you push it.
>>
>> Yes. You might have seen this:
>>
>> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/25916
>>
>> NixOS patches the interpreter to unconditionally set bytecode timestamps
>> to epoch 1. Now I also found this:
>>
>> https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/296
>>
>> So I think we only need that patch and to set PYTHONHASHSEED to some
>> deterministic value in python-build-system. 
>>
>> I can give it a go next weekend if you're busy, but more than happy to
>> share the workload :-)
>
> I hope you don’t mind me asking: is there any progress here?  Anything
> blocking that I could help with?

Hello!

I just pushed a rebased version of this branch to a new 'python-updates'
branch on Savannah, with Python 3.6.3 and 2.7.14.  I also have an update
for 'python-hypothesis' coming, probably this weekend.

Wrt the reproducibility patch, I've tried to cherry-pick
<https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/296> but got a couple of new
test failures.  I have been really busy lately and got an injury to
boot, so my work capacity is limited and any help very welcome.

Closing this bug since the patches are "out there", but feel free to
continue the discussion.  I don't expect a lot of problems due to this
update, so we can probably handle it on 'core-updates'.