Subject: 25.1; insert-char function inconsistency
From: Pablo Mercader Alcántara <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 09:04:01 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Im playing with a bat file triying to put a BELL sound when the file
execution is complete and I have a file that has the character so I just
have to copy it into the bat file. But I was curious about how could I
get the char directly from emacs so I did a C-u C-x = and emacs showed
me this:

             position: 7 of 8 (75%), column: 6
            character: C-g (displayed as C-g) (codepoint 7, #o7, #x7)
    preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x07
               script: latin
               syntax: .     which means: punctuation
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 7" or "C-x 8 RET BELL"
          buffer code: #x07
            file code: #x07 (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1-dos)
              display: no font available
       hardcoded face: escape-glyph

Character code properties: customize what to show
  old-name: BELL
  general-category: Cc (Other, Control)

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t

I thought "ooh! this is cool I can write this character using its name,
BELL" so I created a new bat file "alarm2.bat" with just one line and
tryed to write the character on that file using C-x 8 RET BELL as the
previous help screen told me, but got a different character. When I do a
C-u C-x = over that character I got this:

             position: 9 of 10 (80%), column: 9
            character: 🔔 (displayed as 🔔) (codepoint 128276,
#o372424, #x1f514)
    preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0x1F514
               script: symbol
               syntax: w     which means: word
             category: .:Base
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 1f514" or "C-x 8 RET BELL"
          buffer code: #xF0 #x9F #x94 #x94
            file code: not encodable by coding system iso-latin-1-dos
              display: no font available

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: BELL
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
  decomposition: (128276) ('🔔')

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t

Its a different character but it also states that I could write it using
C-x 8 RET BELL. To me that is an inconsistency, because one of the
commands that the help screen showed me was C-x 8 RET BELL and that
clearly doesn't work.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-11-15 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.10240
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Bat

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Quit [6 times]

Char: 🔔 (128276, #o372424, #x1f514) point=9 of 10 (80%) column=9
You can run the command ‘rename-buffer’ with M-x ren-b RET
Type "q" in help window to restore previous buffer
You can run the command ‘describe-function’ with C-h f
Type "q" in help window to restore previous buffer
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/pmercader/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/cygwin-mount-20131111.1346/cygwin-mount
hides d:/share/emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp/cygwin/cygwin-mount

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail iso-transl pp wid-edit
descr-text tutorial vc add-log log-view pcvs-util vc-dispatcher vc-svn
frameset edebug apropos jka-compr ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff message rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader calc-help
calc-aent calc-misc calccomp calc-sel info calc-stuff calc-yank
calc-store eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe calc-alg calc-ext
calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs bat-mode vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode dabbrev files-x omnisharp omnisharp-settings
omnisharp-auto-complete-actions omnisharp-server-actions omnisharp-utils
s flycheck find-func rx subr-x etags xref project popup dash flymake
csharp-mode imenu compile cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs macros nxml-uchnm rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sql view python
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs
gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs
trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete format-spec advice json map
dired-aux dired thingatpt misearch multi-isearch rect edmacro kmacro
setup-cygwin cygwin-mount ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring cl-seq
yasnippet misterioso-theme finder-inf package epg-config windmove ido
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 522627 96926)
 (symbols 56 52480 0)
 (miscs 48 342 935)
 (strings 32 141122 2904)
 (string-bytes 1 3803911)
 (vectors 16 68626)
 (vector-slots 8 1966421 74426)
 (floats 8 1055 909)
 (intervals 56 4040 2404)
 (buffers 976 52))