Subject: 11.90; XEmacs lacks file-local-variables-alist and reports error.
From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 01:10:03 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.

Be sure to consult the FAQ section in the manual before submitting
a bug report.  In addition check if the bug is reproducable with an
up-to-date version of AUCTeX.  So please upgrade to the version
available from http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/ if your
installation is older than the one available from the web site.

If the bug is triggered by a specific (La)TeX file, you should try
to produce a minimal sample file showing the problem and include it
in your report.

Your report will be posted for the auctex package at the GNU bug
tracker.  Visit http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=auctex
to browse existing AUCTeX bugs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening circ.tex with xemacs leads to the following error:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) (local-variables/warning) File local-variables error: Symbol's value as variable is void: file-local-variables-alist
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Grepping over the *.el files in auctex directory, it seems that the
function font-latex-after-hacking-local-variables in font-latex.el
triggers this error.  Probably suitable boundp test is necessary.

Emacs  : XEmacs 21.4 (patch 24) "Standard C" [Lucid] (amd64-unknown-freebsd11.0, Mule) of Thu Jan 12 2017 on freebsd.vmware
Package: 11.90

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2017-01-10"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("/usr/local/var/auctex/"
		  "/usr/local/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/etc/auctex/style"
		  "/home/keita/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
		  "/home/keita/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self nil
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
		     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
		     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t"
		     TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %(extraopts) %`%S%(mode)%' %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt"
		     "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help
		     "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run Biber")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
		     "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
		     "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t t :help
		     "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil t :help
		     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil t :help
		     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil t :help
		     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help
		     "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
		     "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil
		     t :help "Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
		     "Run an arbitrary command")
		    )
 )