Subject: sed-4.3: testsuite/runtest does not check for a program extension
From: Juan Manuel Guerrero <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 15:42:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

OFYI, the testsuite/runtest shell script makes the assumption that programs
like get-mb-cur-max and test-mbrtowc have no extension but this is not true
for non-posix systems like Windows (aka MinGW) or MSDOS (aka DJGPP).  Thus
the check fails when runtest is invoked.  In some way the possibility for
an extension should be provided.  The patch below is not intended as fix,
it shall only demonstrate the issue.  It is clear that this problem cannot
be reproduced on a posix system like linux.
This means that the test fails to find programs if they have an extension
like ".exe" as used to be in DOS/Windows.

Regards,
Juan M. Guerrero

diff -aprNU5 sed-4.3.orig/testsuite/runtest sed-4.3/testsuite/runtest
--- sed-4.3.orig/testsuite/runtest	2016-07-25 03:03:56 +0000
+++ sed-4.3/testsuite/runtest	2017-01-13 17:49:42 +0000
@@ -9,11 +9,11 @@
  : ${SED="./sed/sed"}

  makefile="${abs_top_srcdir}/testsuite/Makefile.tests"

  # Strip the directory './testsuite/' from the test name.
-test=`echo "$@"| sed 's,.*/,,'`
+test=`echo "$@"| sed 's,.*/,,;s,\.exe$,,'`

  # Skip the utility programs, they are not standalone tests
  test "$test" = get-mb-cur-max \
      || test "$test" = test-mbrtowc \
      && exit 77