Subject: 26.0.50; No hooks are called when auto-saving
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 22:39:13 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The Emacs manual states:

"If you want auto-saving to be done in the visited file rather than in
a separate auto-save file, set the variable
‘auto-save-visited-file-name’ to a non-‘nil’ value.  In this mode, there
is no real difference between auto-saving and explicit saving."

However, there is a significant difference between auto-saving and
explicit saving, even in this mode: auto-saving doesn't run
before-save-hook, after-save-hook, write-contents-functions, or
write-file-functions.  Either some of these hooks should be run during
auto-saving if auto-save-visited-file-name is t, or new hooks should be
created to run in this case.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.38 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2017-01-18 built on localhost
Repository revision: 5fefaaa8c0696ba4b7b6e1e89267aa10fff88b31
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
Sending email 
Sending email done
Sending...done

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(network-stream nsm starttls tls gnutls mailalias smtpmail auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs qp cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 125369 10956)
 (symbols 48 22403 1)
 (miscs 40 373 277)
 (strings 32 23633 8700)
 (string-bytes 1 753869)
 (vectors 16 22889)
 (vector-slots 8 1256392 202843)
 (floats 8 225 207)
 (intervals 56 502 0)
 (buffers 976 16)
 (heap 1024 42683 5682))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.