Subject: 25.1; Emacs/W3 crashes on every url with elisp error (void-variable w3--args)
From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 08:33:05 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Invoking the command W3-fetch interactively, I enter a URL when
prompted. But w3 always crashes with a backtrace like this:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable w3--args)
  w3-display-node((*document nil ((html ((xmlns . "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml")) ((head nil ((title nil ("Alabama New License Application Info | DMV.org")) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (meta (... ...) nil) (link (... ... ...) nil) (link (... ... ... ... ...) nil) (link (... ... ... ... ...) nil))) (body nil ((bodytext nil (... ... ... ... ... ...)))))))))
  w3-draw-tree(((*document nil ((html ((xmlns . "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml")) ((head nil ((title nil ...) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (meta ... nil) (link ... nil) (link ... nil) (link ... nil))) (body nil ((bodytext nil ...)))))))))
  w3-prepare-buffer()
  w3-fetch-callback("http://www.dmv.org/al-alabama/apply-license.php")
* w3-fetch-redirect-callback(nil "http://www.dmv.org/al-alabama/apply-license.php")
  apply(w3-fetch-redirect-callback (nil "http://www.dmv.org/al-alabama/apply-license.php"))
  url-http-activate-callback()
  url-http-chunked-encoding-after-change-function(55126 55599 473)
  url-http-generic-filter(#<process www.dmv.org> "\" src=\"http://onlineguru.112.2o7.net/b/ss/dmvorg/1/H.24.1--NS/0\"/>\n<img height=\"1\" width=\"1\" alt=\"\" src=\"http://pixel.quantserve.com/pixel/p-s_aNqFS0D2k_x.gif\"/>\n<img height=\"1\" width=\"1\" alt=\"\" src=\"http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/viewthroughconversion/1066174917/?value=0&amp;guid=ON&amp;script=0\"/>\n<img height=\"1\" width=\"1\" alt=\"\" src=\"https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=729609693827696&amp;ev=PixelInitialized\"/>\n</div></noscript>\n\n</body>\n</html>\n\n00000000\n\n")
  read-event(nil t 2)
  sit-for(2)
  execute-extended-command(nil "w3-fetch" "w3-fetch")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "w3-fetch" "w3-fetch")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-09-17 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.14393
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-static'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Parsed  93% of 54794...
Parsed  96% of 54794...
Parsed  99% of 54794...
Parsed 100% of 54794...done
Drawing... /
Entering debugger...
Quit
Type "q" in help window to delete it
debugger-frame-number: This line is not a function call
funcall-interactively: End of buffer [4 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail debug network-stream nsm
starttls url-http tls gnutls w3-hot mm-archive message dired rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-utils mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
url-cache w3-toolbar w3-emacs w3-props thingatpt url-auth w3 w3-menu
url-tramp tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell
pcomplete format-spec url-queue browse-url url-nfs url-file url-dired
url-irc url-gw cus-edit cus-start cus-load w3-emulate w3-parse
w3-fast-parse xml w3-display w3-mouse w3-imap url-handlers url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
w3-widget url-util mailcap w3-vars w3-keymap wid-edit w3-cus url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars css font devices cl w3-compat
pseudocode-mode derived advice compile which-func imenu align find-file
skeleton sgml-mode finder-inf package epg-config seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
setup-cygwin cygwin-mount ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring easymenu
printing ps-print ps-def lpr time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 330537 20056)
 (symbols 56 30026 2)
 (miscs 48 213 187)
 (strings 32 56292 9242)
 (string-bytes 1 1575569)
 (vectors 16 44363)
 (vector-slots 8 779923 12848)
 (floats 8 589 206)
 (intervals 56 621 1)
 (buffers 976 31))