Subject: 25.1; Confusing documentation of Tramp methods
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:29:06 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The Tramp manual says in the node External Methods:

  ‘scp’—‘ssh’ and ‘scp’

       Using a combination of ‘ssh’ to connect and ‘scp’ to transfer is
       the most secure.  While the performance is good, it is slower than
       the inline methods for smaller files.  Though there is no overhead
       of encoding and decoding of the inline methods, ‘scp’’s
       cryptographic handshake negates those speed gains.
  [...]

  ‘pscp’—‘plink’ and ‘pscp’
  ‘psftp’—‘plink’ and ‘psftp’

       These methods are similar to ‘scp’ or ‘sftp’, but they use the
       ‘plink’ command to connect to the remote host, and they use ‘pscp’
       or ‘psftp’ for transferring the files.  These programs are part of
       PuTTY, an SSH implementation for Windows.

This seems to say that a file name like the following should work:

  /pscp-plink:username@hostname:filename

But in reality, Tramp says 'Unknown method "pscp-plink"'.  Using just
"pscp" does work.

So it seems like the above doesn't mean to say I should use
"pscp-plink" literally.  But what _does_ it mean?  I didn't find any
clues neither in the Tramp manual nor in the doc string of
tramp-methods.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2016-09-17 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 93416 6146)
 (symbols 56 20741 0)
 (miscs 48 44 106)
 (strings 16 17774 6292)
 (string-bytes 1 441534)
 (vectors 16 12447)
 (vector-slots 8 432686 5016)
 (floats 8 162 82)
 (intervals 40 260 98)
 (buffers 856 19))