Subject: Re: bug#24663: 24.5; doc string of `completion-at-point-functions'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:18:45 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 14:14:52 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> 1. Some lines are too long.  Please use fill-column=70 for ordinary
> paragraphs.

Done.

> 2. Typo: "in turns" should be ", in turn," (no "s").

This was already fixed in Emacs 25.1.

> 3. "the thing at point" means nothing.  Thing at point means something
> only for a given type of THING.  There is not just one ("the") thing
> at point.
> 
> Presumably what is meant here is not a thing at point but some text
> preceding point.  It is some text before point that is completed.

I don't understand what are you saying here.  Sure, it's some text at
point, but the form of that text might describe a symbol, an
expression, a string, etc.

I changed that to say "the entity at point" because the rest of the
doc string refers to that.

> 4. Add a comma after "nil".

Added.

> 5. Typo: "function of no argument" should be "function of no arguments".

Fixed.

> 6. " where" should be ", where:" (and that sentence is run-on (too
> long).

Done.

> 7. "responsible to preserve" should be "responsible for preserving".

Done.

Thanks.