Subject: 25.1.50; tab-width file-local variable has no effect in etc/HELLO
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 20:05:26 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

From: [email-masked]
--text follows this line--
To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  C-h H

Observe the messed-up alignment of the second column.  The reason is
that the tab-width file-local variable setting didn't take effect;
setting the variable by hand fixes the display.

I suspect this change:

  commit 26171e02773b9b2383f412dd79d241385d2d20df
  Author: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
  Date:   Fri May 6 18:58:49 2016 +0000

      Correct hack-local-variables change from Thu May 5 11:05:49 2016 +0000

      Prevent hack-local-variables being called from the fundamental-mode mode call
      early in normal-mode.  This fixes bug #23460 and bug #23463.

      * lisp/files.el (normal-mode) Replace call to fundamental-mode with calls to
      the things it calls, with the exception of hack-local-variables.

      * etc/NEWS: Add an entry to note the calling of hack-local-variables at each
      major mode initialization.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.166 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2016-06-22 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: cc113e557d56d849e9699ceb3bc4a735c628b46e
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/usr --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --with-wide-int
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message puny seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache
epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 102815 10519)
 (symbols 56 21684 0)
 (miscs 48 36 108)
 (strings 16 20874 5712)
 (string-bytes 1 586184)
 (vectors 16 14055)
 (vector-slots 8 442248 5351)
 (floats 8 181 48)
 (intervals 40 268 99)
 (buffers 856 11))