Subject: 25.0.90; Eldoc displays incorrect information when parameters contain question marks
From: Clément Pit--Claudel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 17:22:53 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In emacs -Q, placing the point as indicated below causes eldoc to display “a: (X\=\?)” instead of “a: (X?)”.

    (defun a (x?)) ;; Eval this
    (a) ;; <-- place point before parens

This “\=” looks like the escape sequence that we use in docstrings; maybe that's a sign of something?

Clément.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2016-02-23 built on clem-w50-mint
Repository revision: f1dc3dc63ae4e454ca0e98eebbd80f0ba9d5c356
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 89126 5524)
 (symbols 48 20090 0)
 (miscs 40 585 135)
 (strings 32 15127 4930)
 (string-bytes 1 448853)
 (vectors 16 12288)
 (vector-slots 8 439890 5399)
 (floats 8 164 9)
 (intervals 56 190 1)
 (buffers 976 11)
 (heap 1024 35729 924))