Subject: Re: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 02:08:36 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

On 05/03/2016 07:18 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> (The fact that it uses grep should perhaps be documented, since it
>> affects what one can search for.)
>
> I added that to the doc string.  I'm much less inclined to state this
> ion the manual, as this seems to be a subtle implementation detail,
> and is probably subject to change.

Right, and it's not easy to describe, because for now we support only 
constructs that Grep understands but require the user to escape the 
terms the way Emacs requires, not Grep (so the result is somewhere 
between BRE and ERE).

Hopefully, we'll allow more Emacs-specific terms in the future (by 
stripping them out before giving the regexp to Grep, and then verifying 
the matches in Emacs with the correct regexp).

>> For this specific example, a grep-ish way to find empty lines is '^$'.
>> However, using "A" to search for that (or the empty regexp) causes Emacs
>> to hang indefinitely. :(
>
> That's a bug that should be fixed, for sure.

Fixed in 4d8fd9c. Closing.