Subject: 24.4; Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
From: Ernesto Alfonso <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 19:35:09 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

My emacs session crashed randomly, when presing "RET" to open a
directory in dired. Unfortunately, I don't have much more debugging or gdb
information.

[debian-mini]$ emacs
Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
Backtrace:
emacs[0x503593]
emacs[0x4e9f9e]
emacs[0x5023ae]
emacs[0x502413]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0xf8d0)[0x7fc16bf6c8d0]
emacs[0x5433c8]
emacs[0x5435dc]
emacs[0x5435dc]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x5435dc]
emacs[0x5435dc]
emacs[0x5435dc]
emacs[0x543537]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x5436a0]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
emacs[0x543cae]
emacs[0x5434ff]
...
Segmentation fault
[debian-mini]$ emacs
^[[A^[[A

I was actually in isearch mode, searching for the directory name, and
then pressed "RET", when the crashed happened.

I have defined an advise on iserch-exit, which causes "RET" to do
(dired-find-file) when on a dired buffer. I include the relevant code below:

(defadvice isearch-exit (before dired-search-maybe-follow activate)
  (isearch-ret-maybe-passthrough)
  (when (and isearch-forward isearch-other-end)
    (goto-char isearch-other-end)))

(defun isearch-ret-maybe-passthrough ()
  (when (member (this-command-keys) '([return] ""))
    (case major-mode
      ('dired-mode (dired-find-file))
      ('gnus-summary-mode (gnus-summary-scroll-up nil)))))

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2015-03-07 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.3 (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-command-mode: t
  command-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
nnimap read 3537k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of N groups; please wait) [5 times]
nnimap read 3795k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of N groups; please wait)
nnimap read 4746k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of N groups; please wait)
nnimap read 5954k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of N groups; please wait)
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
nnimap read 0k from imap.gmail.com
nnimap read 207k from imap.gmail.com
nnimap read 506k from imap.gmail.com

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/rst

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr qp gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7
gnutls network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit emacsbug message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils misearch multi-isearch dired-aux help-mode ffap thingatpt
calfw-ical url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
url-vars mailcap icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs calfw holidays
hol-loaddefs wm-windows vc-git org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc
org-info org-gnus gnus-util org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode
dired org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu easymenu
calendar cal-loaddefs go-mode-autoloads plusx proxy-mode emacs-settings
paren server package epg-config legalese isearch-fast-reverse
zoom-global command-mode command-mode-commands wombat-theme edmacro
kmacro cl-macs easy-mmode cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib quick-yes advice
help-fns goto-last-change f dash gv s ucs-normalize time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 615800 59730)
 (symbols 48 42090 0)
 (miscs 40 118 251)
 (strings 32 88922 23608)
 (string-bytes 1 2794465)
 (vectors 16 61588)
 (vector-slots 8 1663614 5559)
 (floats 8 298 326)
 (intervals 56 10040 59)
 (buffers 960 28)
 (heap 1024 77968 3673))