Subject: emacs asks confirmation to open rather small files
From: William <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 11:54:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

When opening files bigger than I think 20Mo, emacs asks for
confirmation. I guess it was important a long time ago, because opening
such files could use all memory and generate freezes. But with today
memory, I think the limit should be modified to let's say 300Mo, or even
bigger.
Best regards

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
  of 2015-03-07 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 8.3 (jessie)

Configured using:
  `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
  --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
  'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
  -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
y <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> <escape>
x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return> <escape> <escape>
<escape> <escape> x r e p <tab> o <tab> r <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50python-docutils.el (source)...done
*** Reading .emacs ***
Loading 
/p/opas/src/Ocaml/opam-v1.2b/4.02.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/tuareg-site-file.el 
(source)...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
File log_merge is large (43.8M), really open? (y or n) y
Making completion list...
Quit
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/preview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu paren cus-start
cus-load package epg-config merlin easy-mmode edmacro kmacro caml-types
caml-emacs tq ocp-indent cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
eurocat-asf-mode opas-arts-config-mode opas-tma-points-mode
opas-traj-mode opas-tma-proc-mode devhelp preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 142264 12964)
  (symbols 48 23180 0)
  (miscs 40 64 118)
  (strings 32 28313 20016)
  (string-bytes 1 695628)
  (vectors 16 14105)
  (vector-slots 8 433981 7341)
  (floats 8 73 205)
  (intervals 56 249 0)
  (buffers 960 13)
  (heap 1024 51533 848))