Subject: 24.2; Wdired does not handle backslash in filename
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 18:00:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

-----

* Create a file /tmp/t\u, i.e. a file with the sequence "\u" in it.

  C-x C-f /tmp/t\u <return> <return> C-x C-s
  
* Open the directory in dired.

  C-x C-f <return>

* Change to wdired mode

  M-x wdire <tab> <return> 

* Exit wdired mode

  C-c C-c

* I get the error "wdired-get-filename: Non-hex digit used for Unicode
  escape".

-----

Variation:

* Create a file /tmp/t\h, i.e. a file with the sequence "\h" in it.

  C-x C-f /tmp/t\h <return> <return> C-x C-s
  
* Open the directory in dired.

  C-x C-f <return>

* Change to wdired mode

  M-x wdire <tab> <return> 

* Exit wdired mode

  C-c C-c

* I get the question "File /tmp/t\h already exists; rename to it
  anyway? (yes or no)".

-----

It seems that I run against the FIXME in wdired-normalize-filename.

Note that renaming and even deleting files works fine if I use the
methods provided by plain dired.

-----

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
 of 2013-04-12 on buildvm-09.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11303000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
 '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib'
 '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var'
 '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg'
 '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xft' '--with-xpm'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no' '--with-wide-int'
 'build_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32
 -march=i686 -mtune=atom -fasynchronous-unwind-tables'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f / t m p / t \ u <return> <return> C-x C-s C-x 
f C-g C-g C-x C-f <return> M-x w d i r e <tab> <return> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> C-c C-c <up> <up> <up> D y e s <return> 
M-x <up> <return> C-c C-c M-x r e p o r s t <backspace> 
<backspace> t - <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(New file)
Saving file /tmp/t\u...
Wrote /tmp/t\u
Quit [2 times]
Press C-c C-c when finished or C-c ESC to abort changes
wdired-get-filename: Non-hex digit used for Unicode escape
Deleting...done
Press C-c C-c when finished or C-c ESC to abort changes
wdired-get-filename: Non-hex digit used for Unicode escape

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils wdired dired regexp-opt time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)