Subject: 24.5; partial frame creation with emacsclient
From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 19:57:47 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Every few months, when I try to create a new (X window system) frame
using "emacsclient -c", I get a useless frame.  That is, I can see the
region where the menubar should be, and the background color looks
right, but the gutters, scrollbar, and modeline are all missing, and the
frame does not respond to keyboard or mouse events.  The next
"emacsclient -c" works fine.

The thread starting at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00891.html has
the troubleshooting information that I have collected so far, plus some
discussion about what might be causing the observed symptoms and what to
do next for troubleshooting.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2015-10-16 on athyra
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version 11.0.40300000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.3 (jessie)

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  delete-selection-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
lib/emacs/hacks.el: (lambda (buf) ...) quoted with ' rather than with #' [2 times]
lib/emacs/hacks.el: (lambda (name) ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'
Loading /home/mdk/lib/emacs/hacks.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mdk/lib/emacs/default.el (source)...
Loading /home/mdk/lib/emacs/xtermkeys.el (source)...done
Loading vc...done
Loading /home/mdk/lib/emacs/default.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mdk/lib/emacs/xtermkeys.el (source)...done
Loading vc...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type M-H C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils warnings server noutline outline easy-mmode comint
ansi-color ring xcscope easymenu advice help-fns ispell delsel vc
vc-dispatcher dired timeclock mdk-hacks time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 96766 3650)
 (symbols 48 21327 0)
 (miscs 40 211 99)
 (strings 32 19651 4560)
 (string-bytes 1 493741)
 (vectors 16 11400)
 (vector-slots 8 415649 2348)
 (floats 8 86 43)
 (intervals 56 153 0)
 (buffers 960 13)
 (heap 1024 28868 653))