Subject: 24.0.50; TRAMP with gud/gdb causing "File error: pty association is not supported"
From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 16:58:56 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs built from bzr trunk:
revision-id: [email-masked]
date: 2010-06-05 02:56:22 -0700
build-date: 2010-06-05 16:58:33 -0400
revno: 100533
branch-nick: trunk

Using TRAMP method scpc and attempting run gdb on a remote file/server,
I am getting the following error:

File error: pty association is not supported for `gdb-inferior'

I have included my TRAMP debug buffer as part of this report:

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-06-05 on maru
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> <switch-frame> M-x M-p M-p M-p <return> M-p 
<return> y <switch-frame> C-x b * t r <tab> <return> 
<switch-frame> <escape> > <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
C-x b * d e b <tab> <return> <escape> < C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-x 1 C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-r g d b <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
C-h i m t r a m p <return> i p t y <return> s p t y 
<return> s <return> C-n C-p C-x b <return> C-x k M-x 
r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Ispell process killed
Starting new Ispell process [default] ...
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Ispell process killed
Starting new Ispell process [default] ...
Composing main Info directory...done
Info-index: No `pty' in index
Info-search: Search failed: "pty"
Ispell process killed

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-words hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-words
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-indent
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-mode
/home/md5i/src/elisp/psvn hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psvn
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-song hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-song
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-what-beat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-what-beat
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-font-lock hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-font-lock
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init

Features:
(shadow sort info mule-util gnus-cite reporter emacsbug gdb-mi bindat
json gud multi-isearch tabify man ansi-color noutline outline gnus-topic
nnfolder utf-7 utf7 rfc2104 netrc nnimap imap nndraft nnmh bbdb-gnus
bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
smime dig mailcap gnus-cache edmacro kmacro gnus-demon nntp nnir
gnus-sum gnus-group time-date gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
flyspell ispell server uptimes pp uniquify descr-text help-mode view
tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp
tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util format-spec tramp-compat trampver
time sieve-manage password-cache rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match
rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
sgml-mode psvn wid-edit log-edit pcvs-util add-log diff-mode easy-mmode
inf-caml camldebug thingatpt derived shell caml-types caml-emacs
caml-font caml advice help-fns advice-preload compile imenu message
sendmail rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader generic-x debian-el
debian-el-loaddefs dired-x dired-aux dired bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone
ange-ftp comint regexp-opt ring cl cl-19 tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])