Subject: 24.5; Orphaned tooltip kills daemon (Lucid)
From: Nicole Edwards <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 17:04:36 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If I call up (or dismiss all but) one frame, ask it to display
a tooltip, then destroy it while the tooltip is open, the tooltip
remains open, and unless I create a new frame within a few seconds,
Emacs dies.  (Mercifully, so does the tooltip.)

This only happens as a daemon (as otherwise there's no way to delete
the last frame) and only with the Lucid toolkit (with GTK+, the
tooltip disappears with the frame).

In recipe form:

     emacs --daemon -Q
     emacsclient -c

In the resulting *scratch* buffer, type

     (if (sit-for 7) (delete-frame))

Now type C-j to evaluate and, while Emacs is sitting, hover your
mouse pointer over the mode line until a tooltip appears.  Leave the
pointer where it is, so that the tooltip remains open, and wait for
the frame to be deleted.  The tooltip should persist.  Wait a little
longer -- five or six seconds? -- and the tooltip should disappear.
Back at the terminal, confirm that Emacs is no longer running.

     $ pgrep emacs
     $

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll 
bars)
  of 2016-01-22 on tikva
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.2 (jessie)

Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=/home/n/.local/stow/emacs-24.5
  --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Starting Emacs daemon.
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils server time-date edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs cl-lib ido tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 76439 3869)
  (symbols 48 18479 0)
  (miscs 40 53 99)
  (strings 32 11586 4813)
  (string-bytes 1 354764)
  (vectors 16 10065)
  (vector-slots 8 387163 6532)
  (floats 8 80 51)
  (intervals 56 169 1)
  (buffers 960 12)
  (heap 1024 24129 988))