Subject: Re: bug#22432: owner, group and mode options are only applied to the deepest directory
From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
To: Hans Lambermont <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:45:13 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 22432 notabug
thanks

On 01/22/2016 04:42 AM, Hans Lambermont wrote:
> Package: coreutils
> Version: 8.21
> 
> When 'install' creates nested directories the options for owner,group and mode
> are only applied to the deepest directory.

Thanks for the report, but this is documented.  Per 'info install':

   • If the ‘--directory’ (‘-d’) option is given, ‘install’ creates each
     DIRECTORY and any missing parent directories.  Parent directories
     are created with mode ‘u=rwx,go=rx’ (755), regardless of the ‘-m’
     option or the current umask.  *Note Directory Setuid and Setgid::,
     for how the set-user-ID and set-group-ID bits of parent directories
     are inherited.

If you want to create parent directories with specific permissions, you
have to do multiple invocations.

As such, I'm closing this as not a bug, but feel free to add further
comments to this thread.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org