Subject: 24.5; Auto-insertion inserts nothing
From: Robin Green <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:07:30 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have, from emacs -Q, customised auto-insert-alist to insert a file in 
new Scala buffers, like this:

      ("\\.scala\\'" "schibsted.scala")

and also customised auto-insert-mode to t and ran (add-hook 
'find-file-hook 'auto-insert).

emacs asks me whether to do the insertion, but then doesn't insert 
anything - and doesn't show any error message, either.

The file schibsted.scala is a symbolic link in ~/insert (which is the 
value of auto-insert-directory).

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.17.8)
of 2015-09-11 on buildvm-21.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11800000
Configured using:
`configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
--with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
-pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
-grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
-m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
auto-insert-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading autoinsert...done
(New file)
Perform \.scala\' auto-insertion? (y or n) y

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils skeleton autoinsert cus-start
cus-load time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79178 5783)
(symbols 48 18498 0)
(miscs 40 38 99)
(strings 32 10846 4809)
(string-bytes 1 281322)
(vectors 16 8946)
(vector-slots 8 383422 18023)
(floats 8 64 159)
(intervals 56 220 1)
(buffers 960 12)
(heap 1024 41714 955))