Subject: 25.1.50; Emacs 25.1.50 fails to start on Windows 98
From: Jussi Lahdenniemi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 08:09:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Windows 98, Emacs crashes right at the startup:
../../emacs/src/lisp.h:1110: Emacs fatal error: assertion failed: XTYPE (a) == type && XUNTAG (a, type) == ptr

This happens every time, with and without -nw.

#0  0xbff768a1 in ?? () from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x01232d59 in emacs_abort () at ../../emacs/src/w32fns.c:10254
        button = 6
#2  0x01107bd5 in terminate_due_to_signal (sig=22, backtrace_limit=2147483647)
    at ../../emacs/src/emacs.c:401
        unblocked = 4194304
#3  0x011871fa in die (
    msg=0x14ea974 "XTYPE (a) == type && XUNTAG (a, type) == ptr",
    file=0x14ea87c "../../emacs/src/lisp.h", line=1110)
    at ../../emacs/src/alloc.c:7063
No locals.
#4  0x01103082 in make_lisp_ptr (ptr=0x2a220fc, type=Lisp_Vectorlike)
    at ../../emacs/src/lisp.h:1110
        a = 44179713
#5  0x01130714 in Fget_buffer_create (buffer_or_name=19699052)
    at ../../emacs/src/buffer.c:586
        buffer = 0
        name = 25264748
        b = 0x2a220fc
#6  0x011a9a8d in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0xd2ed64)
    at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:2693
        internal_argbuf = {19699052, 0, 0, -1074314761, -1073965936,
          -1074284466, 0, 0}
        fun = 19597533
        original_fun = -12558696
        funcar = 0
        numargs = 1
        lisp_numargs = 17838365
        val = 19699052
        internal_args = 0xd2ed68
        count = 16
#7  0x011f0c1b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=19698836, vector=19698853,
    maxdepth=26, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x0)
    at ../../emacs/src/bytecode.c:880
        targets = {0x11f37c6, 0x11f3810, 0x11f3810, 0x11f3810, 0x11f3810,
          0x11f3810, 0x11f3855, 0x11f38a3, 0x11f042e, 0x11f042e, 0x11f042e,
          0x11f042e, 0x11f042e, 0x11f042e, 0x11f0436, 0x11f0407, 0x11f08f5,
          0x11f08f5, 0x11f08f5, 0x11f08f5, 0x11f08f5, 0x11f08f5, 0x11f0924,
          0x11f08fd, 0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b67,
          0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b2f, 0x11f0b40, 0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bef,
          0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bb7, 0x11f0bc8, 0x11f0c7b,
          0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c43,
          0x11f0c54, 0x11f18e8, 0x11f1806, 0x11f17fd, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6,
          0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f1a9e, 0x11f1b7d, 0x11f1be1,
          0x11f1c4c, 0x11f1cbb, 0x11f0783, 0x11f07ec, 0x11f1d3b, 0x11f06c7,
          0x11f0838, 0x11f1dac, 0x11f1df8, 0x11f1e2d, 0x11f1e79, 0x11f1eba,
          0x11f1f5b, 0x11f1f90, 0x11f1fdc, 0x11f203f, 0x11f2074, 0x11f20a9,
          0x11f20f5, 0x11f2141, 0x11f218d, 0x11f21f0, 0x11f2231, 0x11f2272,
          0x11f2313, 0x11f2375, 0x11f23d7, 0x11f2604, 0x11f2658, 0x11f26ac,
          0x11f2700, 0x11f2754, 0x11f2795, 0x11f27fe, 0x11f283f, 0x11f2880,
          0x11f28c1, 0x11f298f, 0x11f16d8, 0x11f29d4, 0x11f2a09, 0x11f2aa4,
          0x11f2ae9, 0x11f2b2e, 0x11f2b63, 0x11f2b9a, 0x11f2bd1, 0x11f2c10,
          0x11f37c6, 0x11f2c55, 0x11f2c88, 0x11f2cbb, 0x11f2cee, 0x11f2d21,
          0x11f2d54, 0x11f16d8, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f2d89, 0x11f2dcb, 0x11f2e00,
          0x11f2e35, 0x11f2e81, 0x11f2ecd, 0x11f2f02, 0x11f3000, 0x11f304c,
          0x11f3098, 0x11f30e4, 0x11f3117, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f1644, 0x11f0d00,
          0x11f05ae, 0x11f0df4, 0x11f0f0d, 0x11f1020, 0x11f1608, 0x11f161d,
          0x11f0af8, 0x11f16a2, 0x11f16fe, 0x11f1773, 0x11f17a9, 0x11f1916,
          0x11f1986, 0x11f19e9, 0x11f1a36, 0x11f0cc4, 0x11f314c, 0x11f31af,
          0x11f31e4, 0x11f3219, 0x11f324e, 0x11f3283, 0x11f32cf, 0x11f331b,
          0x11f3367, 0x11f33b3, 0x11f34d0, 0x11f351c, 0x11f3568, 0x11f359d,
          0x11f35e9, 0x11f3635, 0x11f3670, 0x11f36ab, 0x11f2902, 0x11f2943,
          0x11f36ec, 0x11f375b, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f1133, 0x11f1208, 0x11f1308,
          0x11f1408, 0x11f1508, 0x11f1efb, 0x11f22b3, 0x11f2a44, 0x11f3908,
          0x11f3958, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f39bf, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6,
          0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6,
          0x11f37c6, 0x11f3a24 <repeats 64 times>}
        count = 16
        op = 1
        vectorp = 0x12c94a4
        stack = {
          pc = 0x14c6fbc "\033\315\034\316 \035¤Ä\320\321\b\"*\036!\016\"\204=",
 byte_string = 19698836, byte_string_start = 0x14c6fa5 "\306\b!\204\022",
          next = 0xd2f6a0}
        top = 0xd2ed64
        result = 13823624
        type = CATCHER
#8  0x011aa7b1 in funcall_lambda (fun=19698773, nargs=4, arg_vector=0xd2ef94)
    at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:2921
        val = 13823704
        syms_left = 0
        next = -11385624
        lexenv = 0
        count = 12
        i = 4
        optional = true
        rest = false
#9  0x011a9d03 in Ffuncall (nargs=5, args=0xd2ef90)
    at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:2742
        fun = 19698773
        original_fun = -11385696
        funcar = 2013339609
        numargs = 4
        lisp_numargs = 582
        val = 3
        internal_args = 0x81624db4
        count = 11
#10 0x011a95a9 in call4 (fn=-11385696, arg1=25264780, arg2=25264780,
    arg3=23184, arg4=23184) at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:2577
No locals.
#11 0x011d67ef in Fload (file=25264796, noerror=23184, nomessage=23184,
    nosuffix=23184, must_suffix=0) at ../../emacs/src/lread.c:1275
        val = 0
        stream = 0x1102f02
        fd = 3
        fd_index = 6
        count = 6
        found = 25264780
        efound = 13825224
        hist_file_name = 25264780
        newer = false
        compiled = false
        handler = 10
        safe_p = true
        fmode = 0x15097e1 "rt"
        version = 0
#12 0x011a9b8d in Ffuncall (nargs=5, args=0xd2f590)
    at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:2709
        internal_argbuf = {25264796, 23184, 23184, 23184, 0, 23184, 13825384,
          18525724}
        fun = 21839789
        original_fun = 15696
        funcar = 3
        numargs = 4
        lisp_numargs = 1
        val = 25264796
        internal_args = 0xd2f520
        count = 5
#13 0x011f0c1b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=20210060, vector=20210077,
    maxdepth=50, args_template=2, nargs=0, args=0xd2f730)
    at ../../emacs/src/bytecode.c:880
        targets = {0x11f37c6, 0x11f3810, 0x11f3810, 0x11f3810, 0x11f3810,
          0x11f3810, 0x11f3855, 0x11f38a3, 0x11f042e, 0x11f042e, 0x11f042e,
          0x11f042e, 0x11f042e, 0x11f042e, 0x11f0436, 0x11f0407, 0x11f08f5,
          0x11f08f5, 0x11f08f5, 0x11f08f5, 0x11f08f5, 0x11f08f5, 0x11f0924,
          0x11f08fd, 0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b67,
          0x11f0b67, 0x11f0b2f, 0x11f0b40, 0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bef,
          0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bef, 0x11f0bb7, 0x11f0bc8, 0x11f0c7b,
          0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c7b, 0x11f0c43,
          0x11f0c54, 0x11f18e8, 0x11f1806, 0x11f17fd, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6,
          0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f1a9e, 0x11f1b7d, 0x11f1be1,
          0x11f1c4c, 0x11f1cbb, 0x11f0783, 0x11f07ec, 0x11f1d3b, 0x11f06c7,
          0x11f0838, 0x11f1dac, 0x11f1df8, 0x11f1e2d, 0x11f1e79, 0x11f1eba,
          0x11f1f5b, 0x11f1f90, 0x11f1fdc, 0x11f203f, 0x11f2074, 0x11f20a9,
          0x11f20f5, 0x11f2141, 0x11f218d, 0x11f21f0, 0x11f2231, 0x11f2272,
          0x11f2313, 0x11f2375, 0x11f23d7, 0x11f2604, 0x11f2658, 0x11f26ac,
          0x11f2700, 0x11f2754, 0x11f2795, 0x11f27fe, 0x11f283f, 0x11f2880,
          0x11f28c1, 0x11f298f, 0x11f16d8, 0x11f29d4, 0x11f2a09, 0x11f2aa4,
          0x11f2ae9, 0x11f2b2e, 0x11f2b63, 0x11f2b9a, 0x11f2bd1, 0x11f2c10,
          0x11f37c6, 0x11f2c55, 0x11f2c88, 0x11f2cbb, 0x11f2cee, 0x11f2d21,
          0x11f2d54, 0x11f16d8, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f2d89, 0x11f2dcb, 0x11f2e00,
          0x11f2e35, 0x11f2e81, 0x11f2ecd, 0x11f2f02, 0x11f3000, 0x11f304c,
          0x11f3098, 0x11f30e4, 0x11f3117, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f1644, 0x11f0d00,
          0x11f05ae, 0x11f0df4, 0x11f0f0d, 0x11f1020, 0x11f1608, 0x11f161d,
          0x11f0af8, 0x11f16a2, 0x11f16fe, 0x11f1773, 0x11f17a9, 0x11f1916,
          0x11f1986, 0x11f19e9, 0x11f1a36, 0x11f0cc4, 0x11f314c, 0x11f31af,
          0x11f31e4, 0x11f3219, 0x11f324e, 0x11f3283, 0x11f32cf, 0x11f331b,
          0x11f3367, 0x11f33b3, 0x11f34d0, 0x11f351c, 0x11f3568, 0x11f359d,
          0x11f35e9, 0x11f3635, 0x11f3670, 0x11f36ab, 0x11f2902, 0x11f2943,
          0x11f36ec, 0x11f375b, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f1133, 0x11f1208, 0x11f1308,
          0x11f1408, 0x11f1508, 0x11f1efb, 0x11f22b3, 0x11f2a44, 0x11f3908,
          0x11f3958, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f39bf, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6,
          0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6, 0x11f37c6,
          0x11f37c6, 0x11f3a24 <repeats 64 times>}
        count = 4
        op = 4
        vectorp = 0x134619c
        stack = {pc = 0x145c7fa "\210)\315\002\002\"\204\067",
          byte_string = 20210060, byte_string_start = 0x145c7d8 "\b\203\b",
          next = 0x0}
        top = 0xd2f590
        result = -1074326558
        type = 2170686876
#14 0x011aa39a in funcall_lambda (fun=20210037, nargs=0, arg_vector=0xd2f730)
    at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:2855
        size = 5
        val = 13825832
        syms_left = 2
        next = 35088208
        lexenv = 17838365
        count = 4
        i = 0
        optional = false
        rest = false
#15 0x011aa06b in apply_lambda (fun=20210037, args=0, count=3)
    at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:2794
        args_left = 0
        i = 0
        numargs = 0
        arg_vector = 0xd2f730
        tem = 20210032
        sa_avail = 16384
        sa_count = 4
        sa_must_free = false
#16 0x011a8593 in eval_sub (form=24346539) at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:2211
        fun = 20210037
        val = 13826104
        original_fun = -10980960
        original_args = 0
        funcar = 1
        count = 3
        argvals = {22393528, 22498120, 13826056, 35102200, 16803664,
          24221736, 13826104, 18525724}
#17 0x011a7b8b in Feval (form=24346539, lexical=0)
    at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:1988
        count = 2
#18 0x0110b9ff in top_level_2 () at ../../emacs/src/keyboard.c:1096
No locals.
#19 0x011a635a in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x110b9dc <top_level_2>,
    handlers=9072, hfun=0x110b424 <cmd_error>) at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:1309
        val = 35097280
        c = 0x2b1f33c
#20 0x0110ba3f in top_level_1 (ignore=0) at ../../emacs/src/keyboard.c:1104
No locals.
#21 0x011a59ed in internal_catch (tag=24120, func=0x110ba01 <top_level_1>,
    arg=0) at ../../emacs/src/eval.c:1074
        val = 35112328
        c = 0x2b1f2c8
#22 0x0110b926 in command_loop () at ../../emacs/src/keyboard.c:1065
        val = 35101744
#23 0x0110af9f in recursive_edit_1 () at ../../emacs/src/keyboard.c:672
        count = 1
        val = 18525780
#24 0x0110b187 in Frecursive_edit () at ../../emacs/src/keyboard.c:743
        count = 0
        buffer = 0
#25 0x011090d9 in main (argc=1, argv=0x26204e0)
    at ../../emacs/src/emacs.c:1667
        dummy = 19542278
        stack_bottom_variable = 1 '\001'
        do_initial_setlocale = true
        dumping = false
        skip_args = 0
        no_loadup = false
        junk = 0x0
        dname_arg = 0x0
        ch_to_dir = 0x0
        original_pwd = 0x0

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.16 (i386-pc-mingw32)
 of 2016-01-14 built on SACHER
Repository revision: d16b3b60105f80cc06f778a53c22b4654c03b599
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.10586
Configured using:
 'configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --host=mingw32
 --prefix=/p/emacs-install-98 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3
 -DUSE_STACK_LISP_OBJECTS=0' 'CPPFLAGS=-O0 -g3
 -DUSE_STACK_LISP_OBJECTS=0''

Configured features:
SOUND NOTIFY ACL TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: FIN
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading c:/home/emacs-code/suur-sexp.el (source)...done
Loading c:/home/emacs-code/insert-parentheses.el (source)...done
Directory name in buffer names (uniquify) disabled globally
Package iswitchb is obsolete!
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit

Load-path shadows:
c:/home/emacs-code/align hides p:/emacs-install-98/share/emacs/25.1.50/lisp/align
c:/home/emacs-code/flymake hides p:/emacs-install-98/share/emacs/25.1.50/lisp/progmodes/flymake

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
autorevert filenotify paren flymake slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
noutline outline pp hyperspec browse-url windmove iswitchb warnings
server js2-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-styles cc-align
cc-cmds cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cider cider-mode cider-repl derived
cider-eldoc cider-interaction easy-mmode compile arc-mode archive-mode
cider-version pkg-info find-func lisp-mnt epl cider-client nrepl-client
cider-util ewoc etags xref project thingatpt dash edmacro kmacro
clojure-mode imenu inf-lisp tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice
scala-mode-auto align tempo url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap xml-parse
doxymacs ion-comments ion-id jlahd-edit pager cl finder-inf
ac-nrepl-autoloads auto-complete-autoloads cider-autoloads
clojure-project-mode-autoloads clojurescript-mode-autoloads
nrepl-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads
dash-autoloads popup-autoloads project-mode-autoloads
levenshtein-autoloads info slime-autoloads w3-autoloads package
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv
eieio-loaddefs gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 374079 11764)
 (symbols 24 36577 0)
 (miscs 20 47 129)
 (strings 16 72929 10231)
 (string-bytes 1 2055191)
 (vectors 8 55627)
 (vector-slots 4 925039 7306)
 (floats 8 298 298)
 (intervals 28 282 0)
 (buffers 516 12))