Subject: 25.1.50; Dired -- renaming folders/files to CamelCase/UPPERCASE/lowercase.
From: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 12:57:27 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On an Emacs build (master branch), using Emacs -Q, I am unable to change files and folders in dired-mode from CamelCase/UPPERCASE/lowercase.

A folder named `FOO` cannot be changed to `foo` using `dired-do-rename`.

    Move ‘/Users/HOME/Desktop/FOO’ to ‘/Users/HOME/Desktop/foo/FOO’ failed:
      (file-error Renaming Invalid argument /Users/HOME/Desktop/FOO /Users/HOME/Desktop/foo/FOO)

Any ideas how to accomplish this on OSX with drives that are formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Thanks,

Keith

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS appkit-1038.36 Version 10.6.8 (Build 10K549))
 of 2015-12-07
Repository revision: 6148555ee5a3d0139ae517803718b3e0357933c7
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --without-imagemagick --enable-checking=glyphs
 CPPFLAGS=-I/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/macports/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/macports/lib'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG DBUS NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: FM

Minor modes in effect:
  tb-mode: t
  sb-mode: t
  ml-mode: t
  ds-mode: t
  sd-mode: t
  bc-mode: t

Recent messages:

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug message mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail lawlist-ztree lawlist-ys lawlist-ws
lawlist-wl elmo-imap4 elmo-localdir modb-standard modb-legacy
elmo-internal elmo-flag mmelmo-imap mmelmo-buffer elsp-generic mel-u
epg-config lawlist-w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode ccl lawlist-vl
lawlist-view lawlist-undo lawlist-txt lawlist-tm lawlist-tex compare-w
diff-mode lawlist-tabbar lawlist-speedbar lawlist-shell info
esh-groups ehelp ange-ftp lawlist-sgml lawlist-sb lawlist-ruler
lawlist-replace lawlist-rectangle lawlist-re-builder lawlist-python
skeleton lawlist-profiler lawlist-print lawlist-php cl-seq cc-langs
lawlist-perl lawlist-parens lawlist-org lawlist-calendar org-agenda
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs lawlist-neotree lawlist-movement lawlist-mouse
lawlist-ml lawlist-misc lawlist-messages lawlist-mc lawlist-markdown
noutline outline lawlist-lorem lawlist-linum lawlist-keymap lawlist-js
json map thingatpt cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs lawlist-ispell
lawlist-isearch lawlist-info lawlist-imenu lawlist-ibuffer lawlist-hl
lawlist-grep lawlist-git pcvs-util ido seq server conf-mode
lawlist-framebufs lawlist-frame lawlist-fm lawlist-files zeroconf dbus
xml lawlist-env lawlist-elscreen lawlist-elisp lawlist-dv
lawlist-image lawlist-ds lawlist-dired dired format-spec lawlist-diff
lawlist-desktop frameset lawlist-saveplace lawlist-debug
lawlist-window debug lawlist-css smie lawlist-compile rx lawlist-color
lawlist-cm lawlist-cc lawlist-font-lock cl-macs lawlist-calc
lawlist-calc+ lawlist-bk lawlist-bc lawlist-bbdb gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils wid-edit mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-extr rfc822 timezone lawlist-minibuffer gv
lawlist-auth gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache
lawlist-as lawlist-archive lawlist-apropos lawlist-+ lawlist-lcl
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv lawlist-help disp-table
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro quail help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib
pcase derived advice shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring savehist
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2354572 210705)
 (symbols 48 86149 13)
 (miscs 40 615 539)
 (strings 32 193947 18434)
 (string-bytes 1 7215369)
 (vectors 16 37672)
 (vector-slots 8 1005865 24059)
 (floats 8 2731 483)
 (intervals 56 602 119)
 (buffers 976 12))