Subject: Re: bug#22188: 24.5; auth-source-search ignores netrc entries with port set
From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
To: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Alexey Veretennikov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 10:18:31 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 16:09:41 +0100 Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> wrote: 

AS> An entry without port is matched by any port.  In general, an absent
AS> specification means any.

Exactly :)

The only tricky case is explained in (info "(auth) Help for users")

   The typical netrc line example is without a port.

     machine YOURMACHINE login YOU password YOURPASSWORD

   This will match any authentication port.  Simple, right?  But what if
there’s a SMTP server on port 433 of that machine that needs a different
password from the IMAP server?

     machine YOURMACHINE login YOU password SMTPPASSWORD port 433
     machine YOURMACHINE login YOU password GENERALPASSWORD

I hope that helps. Closing this as done, but please let me know if the
auth-source manual or docstrings need improvement.

Thank you
Ted