Subject: 24.5; auto-revert-tail-mode doesn't work (perhaps because of nfs)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 10:00:15 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm accustomed to monitoring the log files of running jobs with emacs
using auto-revert-tail-mode.  This no longer works on Emacs 24, but 
works fine on previous versions of Emacs.  I don't know if the fact
that our disks are mounted via NFS is the problem or not, but I ran one
trial on a local disk in which auto-revert-tail-mode did work.

Regards,
Dan

Standard form below:
----------------------------------------------------------------

emacs -Q logfile
M->
M-x auto-revert-tail-mode

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2015-04-13 on ln-ddever
Windowing system distributor `Scientific Linux', version 11.0.11300000
System Description:	Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 6 (Carbon Update 4)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/ddever/emacs/emacs-24.5'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-revert-tail-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
File changed on disk, content may be missing.  Perform a full revert? (y or n) y
Reverting buffer `logfile'.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils autorevert filenotify
vc-dispatcher vc-svn time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 72844 7584)
 (symbols 48 17666 0)
 (miscs 40 48 149)
 (strings 32 9868 4609)
 (string-bytes 1 283769)
 (vectors 16 9186)
 (vector-slots 8 386766 15190)
 (floats 8 68 422)
 (intervals 56 246 175)
 (buffers 960 13)
 (heap 1024 32659 870))