Subject: Syntax weirdness lately
From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
To: bug-emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:47:01 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In latest master, syntax-propertize application seems to be buggy in a
way I can't readily reproduce or analyze.

Consider this bit of shell:

                elif [[ $c = '\' ]]; then
                    state=word-backslash

Sometimes, unreproducibly of course, we don't close the string at the
trailing
single quotation mark, and the rest of the buffer ends up being a
string, at least up until the single quotation mark. A similar problem
in Python sometimes leads to Python inflooping in buffers containing
strings triple-quoted with single quotation marks: it appears that we
interpret "'''" as just an empty single-quoted string, followed by a
single-quoted opener.

Did we change something about how complex syntax rules work lately?
Revision history doesn't point to anything.