Subject: 11.88.7; Previews not restored between Emacs sessions
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 14:37:49 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear All,

I've just noticed that previews are not restored between 
Emacs sessions, even if Desktop is active. This is happening 
with a minimal init file (see below).

More in detail, I:
- start Emacs and open a LaTeX file, move the cursor a 
couple screenfuls down,
- run preview on the file; previews are generated,
- quit Emacs and get the prompt "Save Desktop?", to which I 
answer "yes",
- start Emacs again; the frame of the LaTeX file is 
restored, with cursor at the same position as the last 
session. No previews are visible, though.

Note that the previews are restored between sessions if I 
include

(require 'preview)

towards the beginning of my init file. Doing so, however, 
breaks several paths (more precisely, my "TeX-macro-global" 
and "TeX-tree-roots" are overwritten - why? - and I get 
"'c:/PROGRAM' is not recognized as an internal or external 
command..." warnings).

Thank you for your help,
J

---- init-file begins ----

(require 'package) (package-initialize)
(setenv "PATH" (concat "C:\\cygwin\\bin;C:\\cygwin\\lib;" 
(getenv "PATH")))
(setq exec-path (append '("C:/cygwin/bin" "C:/cygwin/lib") 
exec-path))

(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . 
"http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/") t)

;(require 'preview) ;; uncommenting this keeps previews 
between sessions but breaks paths

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be 
careful.
  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
  '(LaTeX-command-style (quote (("" "%(PDF)%(latex) 
%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)"))))
  '(TeX-PDF-mode t)
  '(TeX-macro-global
    (quote
     ("C:/Users/pglpm/work/MikTeX/tex" 
"c:/PROGRA~1/MiKTeX~2.9/tex/" 
"c:/PROGRA~1/MiKTeX~2.9/bibtex/bst/")))
  '(TeX-tree-roots
    (quote
     ("c:/PROGRA~1/MiKTeX 2.9/" "C:/Users/XXX/MikTeX/")))
  '(desktop-path (quote ("~")))
  '(desktop-save-mode t)
  '(preview-gs-command "c:\\PROGRA~1\\GS\\BIN\\GSWIN32C.EXE"))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be 
careful.
  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
  '(default ((t (:family "DejaVu Sans Mono" :height 76)))))

---- init-file ends ----

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Package: 11.88.7

current state:
==============
(setq
  AUCTeX-date "2015-09-07"
  window-system 'w32
  LaTeX-version "2e"
  TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
		  "c:/Users/XXX/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.88.7/style"
		  "c:/Users/XXX/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
		  "c:/Users/XXX/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
  TeX-auto-save nil
  TeX-parse-self nil
  TeX-master t
  TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
		     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) 
%`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
		     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t"
		     TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX"
		     "%(PDF)amstex %(extraopts) %`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt"
		     "texexec --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "texexec %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help
		     "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run Biber")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
		     "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
		     "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-command t t :help
		     "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
		     "Create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
		     "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil
		     t :help "Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
		     "Run an arbitrary command")
		    )
  )