Subject: emacsclient silently eats keys on startup
From: William Hatch <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:03:06 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When emacsclient is launched with -t (terminal mode), there is a short time
when I press keys and they have no effect.  Most commonly this happens when
I open a file knowing that I want to search for something, so I immediately
type backslash (bound to evil-search-forward), then the text I want to
search for.  When the slash and potentially some of the search term are
eaten, strange things happen when emacs suddenly starts interpreting the
middle of this key sequence as the start of it.

This doesn't happen when emacs is started normally in a terminal.  One of
my favorite things about using a terminal is that I can type ahead when I
know what I'm doing, and I don't have to wait for the GUI to catch up to
me.  Emacsclient breaks this, and it is especially noticeable over ssh.  I
have confirmed that this happens with no init file, so I'm sure it's not
just something in my configuration.

Confirmed in emacs versions 24.5.50.1 and 25.0.50.1.

Thanks (emacs is the best),
William