Subject: Re: bug#21070: GPT backup corruption causes parted and linux installer to crash
From: Phil Susi <[email-masked]>
To: CeDeROM <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:26:11 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 7/15/2015 3:34 PM, CeDeROM wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I have bought 2x2TB disks and set it up for RAID0. I have installed
> Win7 first with UEFI that created GPT partitions. I want to install
> FreeBSD and Linux on it..
> 
> Using Lubuntu AMD64 14.04.02 ISO and UEFI boot I have problem with
> installation. Installer crashes, so I have tried gparted it crashes as
> well, and so parted, below are details.
> 
> Please advise :-)
> Tomek
> 
> root@lubuntu:~# parted
> GNU Parted 2.3
> Using /dev/sda

You must not access an individual disk when it is part of a fake raid
array; you must instead partition the array as a whole ( e.g.
/dev/mapper/somethingorther ).  It appears to be a disk that claims to
be larger than it actually is.  That old version of parted refuses to
handle it, so you could also use a more recent release ( Ubuntu 15.04
should do ).