Subject: temp-file-name-pattern vs temporary-file-directory
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:45:21 +0100

Recently I learned about the variable temp-file-name-pattern when
under odd circumstances I didn't have access to /tmp. I was
surprised that the default value of this variable was
/tmp/emacsXXXXXX, thus ignoring my setting of
temporary-file-directory. Shouldn't temp-file-name-pattern take into
account the value of temporary-file-directory?

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2008-03-27 on tfkp07
configured using `configure  '--with-gcc' '--with-x-toolkit=athena''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.iso885915
  locale-coding-system: iso-8859-15
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t