Subject: 23.0.60; error raised if visit new, empty file foo.jpeg
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:32:56 -0800

This is similar to bug #2058, but the error raised here is much less
bewildering. ;-)
 
emacs -Q
 
C-x C-f foo.jpeg
 
That raises this error:
"File mode specification error: (error "Cannot determine image type")"
 
I don't think an error should be raised until the buffer is saved. I
could be wrong about that.  In any case, the error message should be
something more appropriate.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-01-04 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/g/include
-fno-crossjumping'