Subject: 24.5; aspell dictionary de-alt not found
From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 23:15:29 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Installed the Aspell dictionary `de-alt':

<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/de-alt/aspell6-de-alt-2.1-1.tar.bz2>

Started EMACS, then opened a text file written in German:

  Dies ist ein kurzes Dokument, das nicht sehr lang ist, so dass ich es
  schnell schreiben konnte.

  Local IspellDict: de-alt

Interactively ran `ispell-buffer'. This resulted in an error message:

  ispell-init-process: Error: The encoding "nil" is not known. This
  could also mean that the file "/usr/lib/aspell-0.60/nil.cset" could
  not be opened for reading or does not exist.

The reason is that Emacs didn’t parse `de-alt' into
`ispell-dictionary-alist'.

A workaround is to specify in `~/.emacs':

  (require 'ispell)
  (add-to-list 'ispell-dictionary-base-alist
               '("de-alt" "[[:alpha:]]" "[^[:alpha:]]" "" t
                 ("-d" "de-alt")
                 nil utf-8))

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
 of 2015-04-20 on bitzer.hoetzel.info
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Applying style hooks... done
Mark set
Sorting environment...
Removing duplicates... done
Quit [2 times]
Mark set
Quit
Making completion list... [2 times]
Quit
No server editing buffers exist

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils texmathp flyspell preview prv-emacs tex-bar
tex-buf toolbar-x noutline outline font-latex byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv latex tex-style tex dbus xml crm tex-mode
shell pcomplete quack thingatpt compile cmuscheme comint ansi-color ring
scheme paren delsel cua-base cus-start cus-load ispell browse-kill-ring
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads saveplace redo+ edmacro kmacro ls-lisp
help-mode easy-mmode advice help-fns dired+ image-dired cl-loaddefs
cl-lib format-spec image-file dired-x easymenu dired-aux dired tempbuf
whitespace session package epg-config windmove server time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 238168 11475)
 (symbols 48 31664 0)
 (miscs 40 100 339)
 (strings 32 54892 7604)
 (string-bytes 1 1540668)
 (vectors 16 22543)
 (vector-slots 8 530525 12944)
 (floats 8 141 185)
 (intervals 56 769 0)
 (buffers 960 15)
 (heap 1024 52649 1672))