Subject: Re: bug#20068: 24.4.91; Too many warnings building Emacs
From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 08:47:58 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

At 02:45 -0300 on Tuesday 2015-03-10, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> If you get that many warnings, you must be doing a bootstrap
>
> No, he isn't.  A small number of Lisp files are byte-compiled when
> building a release tarball (this was fixed by you on master, I think),
> and the files he mentions are those.

Glen is right, actually. I neglected to read the README and INSTALL
files (Sorry. I've read them now.) and, instead, I just used my usual
build recipe which includes a bootstrap.

Rebuilding with a bare make after a fresh extraction from the tarball, I
get 37 warnings which is much less overwhelming than than 158!

>> Lisp compilation errors are never (good enough) platform specific and
>> can always be ignored by non-developers.
>
> Indeed, in this case I looked at the reported warnings and saw nothing
> grave there, I'm quite sure I saw the same warnings when I built the
> pretest.

Well if nothing can reasonably be done about any of the warnings that's
unfortunate, of course, since it cheapens their value, but it's just one
of those things I suppose. I'm closing this.

Thank you for Emacs.