Subject: Re: no emacs server variable `server-name'
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: Harry Putnam <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Emacs Bug Tracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:03:03 +0100

Package: emacs
Version: 23.0.60

> Reading parts of the documentation I see:
> (info "(emacs)Emacs Server")
>     You can run multiple Emacs servers on the same machine by giving
>  each one a unique "server name", using the variable `server-name'.
>  For example, `M-x set-variable <RET> server-name <RET> foo <RET>'
>  sets the server name to `foo'.  The `emacsclient' program can
>  specify a server by name, using the `-s' option (*note emacsclient
>  Options::).

There are several ways to set it (with --daemon=myname, or --eval, or
M-: (setq ...)), but you're right: the documentation states that it is
settable with set-variable, and it is not. At the very least it should
be

  (defvar server-name "server"
     "*Name of the server process.")
  (put 'server-name 'variable-interactive "M")

if not a defcustom.

    Juanma