Subject: issue with Emacs 24.4.1 but not with 24.3.1 : changed on disk; really edit the buffer
From: Bertrand Brelier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:23:37 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello everybody,

I am using emacs on a Ubuntu server (14.04) to edit files.

I am editing files that are located in an encrypted directory with encfs
located on a Microsoft server (accessed with cifs).

When I edit the file and save it, and I continue to edit the file (without
closing it), I have the following issue where emacs thinks that the file
has changed on disk :

changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)
has changed since visited or saved.  Save anyway? (yes or no)

This problem is reproducible (it actually happens every-time) but only
happens with Emacs 24.4.1 and not with Emacs 24.3.1.

Also, I do not have the problem when I use an encrypted directory locally
(not on an external server) or when I use an non-encrypted directory on the
Microsoft server.

I have also checked that the file is not used or modified by another user
or program and since I do not have any issue with the version 24.3.1 on the
same files, I am wondering if the issue could come from the version 24.4.1

Please let me know if you need further information to investigate the issue.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate working with emacs.

Regards,

Bertrand