Subject: Parted bug report
From: Hans Ameel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 20:38:37 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have a disk with what seems a corrupt GPT partition table.

When using parted in a stock installation of Debian 7; I get the folowing
dump;

I hope to have been of service reporting this bug. Glad to answer any
inquerries

Kind regards,
Hans

root@LAB:~# parted /dev/sdd

GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sdd
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Error: Invalid argument during seek for read on /dev/sdd
Retry/Ignore/Cancel? i
Error: The backup GPT table is corrupt, but the primary appears OK, so that
will be used.
OK/Cancel? ok
Backtrace has 8 calls on stack:
  8: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(ped_assert+0x29) [0xb773f2a9]
  7: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x4b6be) [0xb777d6be]
  6: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(ped_disk_new+0x61) [0xb7747171]
  5: parted() [0x804e71b]
  4: parted(interactive_mode+0x116) [0x8056186]
  3: parted(main+0x1906) [0x804dd86]
  2: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6)
[0xb7584e46]
  1: parted() [0x804de25]

You found a bug in GNU Parted! Here's what you have to do:

Don't panic! The bug has most likely not affected any of your data.
Help us to fix this bug by doing the following:

Check whether the bug has already been fixed by checking
the last version of GNU Parted that you can find at:

        http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/

Please check this version prior to bug reporting.

If this has not been fixed yet or if you don't know how to check,
please visit the GNU Parted website:

        http://www.gnu.org/software/parted

for further information.

Your report should contain the version of this release (2.3)
along with the error message below, the output of

        parted DEVICE unit co print unit s print

and the following history of commands you entered.
Also include any additional information about your setup you
consider important.

Assertion (last_usable <= disk->dev->length) at
../../../libparted/labels/gpt.c:723 in function _parse_header() failed.

Aborted

root@LAB:~#

Issuing the reccomended print commands has no use, as parted gives the same
error of course...