Subject: 24.3; apply doesn't work as in Common Lisp
From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 23:28:18 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(apply 'mapcar 'list '((1 2))) ; ((1) (2))
(apply 'mapcar 'list '((1 2) (3 4))) ; error

The error is:

*** Eval error ***  Wrong number of arguments: mapcar, 3

In Common Lisp `(apply 'mapcar 'list '((1 2) (3 4)))' would be
`'((1 3) (2 4))'.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.4)
 of 2013-09-26 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
System Description:	LMDE Cinnamon Edition

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: IELM

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  keyfreq-autosave-mode: t
  keyfreq-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<backspace> M-p M-p M-p <return> M-u M-u M-u C-M-SPC 
M-c M-b i e <return> M-SPC C-M-SPC <backspace> M-v 
<return> M-v M-h M-r M-e M-H C-x C-e M-r M-I M-I <backspace> 
M-H <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-J ( a p p l 
y SPC ' m a p c a r SPC ' l i s t SPC ' <backspace> 
M-h M-t <backspace> <M-backspace> ( M-H M-h M-i <M-backspace> 
M-H ( l i s t SPC 1 SPC 2 SPC ) <backspace> 3 ) ) <return> 
<C-up> M-h M-i a p p l y SPC ' <return> <C-up> M-n 
M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n ( l 
i s t SPC M-H ) <return> l o l <return> ( a p p l y 
SPC ' m a p c a r SPC ' l i s t SPC ( l i s t SPC ( 
<backspace> ' ( 1 SPC 2 SPC <backspace> ) SPC ' ( 3 
SPC 4 ) ) ) <return> <C-up> M-n M-n <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
M-H <return> <C-up> M-n M-n SPC ( <backspace> ' ( SPC 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> M-n 
M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n C-M-SPC 
<backspace> ' ( 1 SPC 2 ) M-H <return> <C-up> M-n M-n 
M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-i <backspace> ( l i s t SPC ' 
M-H ) <return> <C-up> <backspace> SPC ( l i s t SPC 
' ( 3 SPC 4 ) ) ) <return> <C-up> M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n 
M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-i C-M-SPC 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> M-H <backspace> 
SPC ' ( 3 SPC 4 ) ) ) <return> M-u M-u C-M-SPC M-c 
M-a r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
History item: 1
History item: 2
History item: 3
Mark set [4 times]
map-into
Mark set
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
History item: 1 [4 times]
Mark set
History item: 1 [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/pymacs hides /home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/pymacs-0.25/pymacs
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-20080305.34/color-theme hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-20140914.1012/markdown-mode hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/markdown-mode
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/diminish-20091203.1012/diminish hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/diminish
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
~/.emacs.d/custom hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/custom
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/json-1.2/json hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/json
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-pcomplete hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-agenda hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-docview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-timer hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-calc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-info hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-info
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-asymptote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-mscgen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-inlinetask hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-maxima hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-io hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ditaa hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-src
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ruby hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-protocol hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-feed hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-crypt hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-eval hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-shen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-python hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-entities hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-faces hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-comint hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-octave hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-clock hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-ctags hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-scheme hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-sqlite hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-table
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-datetree hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-list hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-list
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ledger hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-bibtex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-plantuml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-fortran hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-sass hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-footnote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-attach hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-element hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-element
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ocaml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-macs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-mobile hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-install hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-install
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-clojure hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-eshell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-matlab hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-habit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-perl hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-id
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-version hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-version
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-scala hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-plot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-capture hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-sh hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sh
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-tangle hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-picolisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-lilypond hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-colview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
~/.emacs.d/secrets hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/secrets

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug python rx pcmpl-unix pop3 nndraft nnmh
nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig
nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit goto-addr find-dired grep mule-util
gnutls parse-time network-stream starttls url-http tls mail-parse
rfc2231 url-gw url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
url-vars mailcap inf-haskell haskell-cabal haskell-utils
haskell-decl-scan imenu haskell-mode haskell-string haskell-sort-imports
haskell-align-imports haskell-compat haskell-complete-module flymake
dabbrev haskell-customize shell thingatpt vc-git geiser-mode geiser-xref
geiser-racket geiser-repl compile geiser-compile geiser-debug
geiser-company geiser-image geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-autodoc
geiser-edit etags geiser-completion geiser-eval geiser-connection tq
geiser-syntax geiser-log geiser-popup view geiser-impl geiser-custom
geiser-base scheme dired bookmark face-remap misearch multi-isearch
debug jka-compr help-mode ielm pp server eldoc flyspell ispell icomplete
hl-line paren ido ropemacs pymacs keyfreq uniquify warnings advice
help-fns advice-preload cl-macs gv cl-lib org-id org-mobile org-agenda
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-scheme geiser ob-emacs-lisp
ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs smtpmail
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util
time-date password-cache sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils wombat-theme undo-tree diff suspend app f s
ucs-normalize dash moderne-mode bind-key color-theme-autoloads
dash-functional-autoloads ergoemacs-mode-autoloads f-autoloads
dash-autoloads geiser-autoloads ghc-autoloads ghci-completion-autoloads
haskell-mode-autoloads edmacro kmacro ht-autoloads json-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads monokai-theme-autoloads org-autoloads info
easymenu pymacs-autoloads request-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
s-autoloads ttl-mode-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads unidecode-autoloads
finder-inf use-package-autoloads diminish-autoloads bind-key-autoloads
package emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs
easy-mmode tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)