Subject: 24.4; 24.4.1 libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll crash on exit
From: Bill Farmer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:08:04 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi

In the file ~/etc/PROBLEMS is a mention of potential problems with
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll. I have an installation of MinGW on this windows
machine which is in my PATH, as do many other emacs users, I would
imagine. If I rename libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll in my MinGW installation, emacs
works fine and does not crash on exit. However, this breaks MinGW. So I
checked for mentions of libgcc in the emacs executables:

Bill@CYNTHIA /d/Images/emacs/emacs-24.4
$ find . -name "*.dll" -exec strings -f {} \; | grep libgcc
./bin/libXpm.dll: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll

Bill@CYNTHIA /d/Images/emacs/emacs-24.4
$ find . -name "*.exe" -exec strings -f {} \; | grep libgcc
./bin/addpm.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/ctags.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/ebrowse.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/emacs-24.4.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/emacs.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/emacsclient.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/emacsclientw.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/etags.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/runemacs.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/cmdproxy.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/ddeclient.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/hexl.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/movemail.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/profile.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/update-game-score.exe: 
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll

Every executable file in the emacs version 24.4 windows installation has
a reference to this dll. I don't think this problem is fixable without
building my own version from source. I use the binary version to avoid
this. I will have to revert to the previous version intil someone does a
build without this problem.

Regards
Bill

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2014-10-24 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=/c/usr'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ENG
   locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   delete-selection-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   cua-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <about-emacs>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x
r e p <tab> o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading cua-base...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu saveplace delsel paren
cua-base cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32notify w32
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 85268 6784)
  (symbols 32 18620 0)
  (miscs 32 81 107)
  (strings 16 12741 3702)
  (string-bytes 1 316673)
  (vectors 8 9842)
  (vector-slots 4 389888 5490)
  (floats 8 64 490)
  (intervals 28 256 41)
  (buffers 508 14))