Subject: 25.0.50; New Semantic completion-at-point-functions should fail silently
From: Christoph Ruegge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:58:44 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

A recent change to CEDET introduced three new functions called
semantic-analyze-...-completion-at-point-function. In buffers not
supported by Semantic, they do not simply return nil but instead fail
with the error message "Cannot analyze buffers not supported by
Semantic". This is particularly annoying in combination with
company-mode's backend company-capf.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2014-11-13 on io
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11602000
System Description:	Arch Linux

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/cs/.local --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Minor modes in effect:
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-smartscan-mode: t
  smartscan-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  guide-key-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  dtrt-indent-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  aggressive-indent-mode: t
  total-line-number-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Features:
(easy-kill misearch multi-isearch semantic/analyze semantic/sort
semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn cus-start cus-load semantic/db-mode
semantic/db eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format semantic/tag-ls
semantic/find semantic/ctxt eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils texmathp vc-git diff-mode
preview prv-emacs imenu reftex-toc reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex
reftex-vars adaptive-wrap noutline outline font-latex tex-mode latexenc
ido helm-misc helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval server company-anaconda
anaconda-mode f json-rpc python json elisp-slime-nav paredit init
yasnippet cl winner windmove disp-table whitespace volatile-highlights
undo-tree diff smartscan smartparens-config smartparens-latex
smartparens saveplace savehist tramp-cache tramp-sh recentf tree-widget
wid-edit projectile ibuf-ext ibuffer pkg-info lisp-mnt epl s paren
auctex-latexmk latex tex-style tex-buf tex dbus crm tex-site helm-mode
helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete format-spec dired-aux ffap helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net browse-url xml
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-locate
helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp grep helm-external
helm-utils dired-x dired compile comint ansi-color helm helm-source
helm-config async-bytecomp async helm-aliases info guide-key face-remap
popwin flycheck find-func help-mode rx subr-x pcase dtrt-indent delsel
company-files company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags ring
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-capf
company-cmake company-ropemacs company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml
company-bbdb company circe-autoloads lui-autoloads semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio
eieio-core mode-local cedet time-date autorevert filenotify anzu
thingatpt aggressive-indent names edebug easymenu edmacro kmacro
my-mode-line minimal-white-theme use-package diminish bind-key
easy-mmode warnings byte-opt cl-macs bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv advice help-fns dash package epg-config gv
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)