Subject: 25.0.50; `help-window-select'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 08:42:16 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The description of `other' in the Customize buffer (and the doc string)
is incorrect.  Or else the behavior is bugged.

If *Help* is shown in its own frame (e.g. from *Help* being a
special-display buffer), and if the option value is `other' (the
default), then the *Help* window (and frame) are *not* selected, in
contradiction to what the doc says.

On MS Windows, at least, if the *Help* frame in this context does not
yet exist then yes, that frame (and thus the *Help* window is selected -
the frame gets the input focus.  But that is because Windows always
gives a newly created frame the focus.  And if the frame exists already
then no, the *Help* window and its frame are not selected.  Focus stays
with the frame where you invoked the help command.

Note too that the description is anyway inadequate, because it seems to
make the assumption that there *is* another window on the help window's
frame: "unless the selected window is the only other window on the help
window's frame" is not clear for the case where there is no such other
window.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 118168 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'