Subject: Re: bug#18920: Parted always chooses the logical sector size.
From: Phillip Susi <[email-masked]>
To: dE <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 14:30:33 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 11/4/2014 9:56 AM, dE wrote:
> Yes, the kernel reports both -- the logical and the physical.
> Parted knows about it, it shows both the logical and physical
> sector size, but then also it uses the logical sector size. It
> should not. There must be an option at least, and I suggest it
> should be made the default otherwise the partitions may start
> unaligned.

Incorrect:  the logical sector size is what the drive uses to address
sectors, and therefore, how all software, including partitioning tools
addresses the drive.  The physical sector size is only provided as a
hint about the internal structure of the disk because it can have
performance implications.  Partitioning tools use this information to
pick the optimal alignment.  If you run parted -a min, it will take
care to align partitions to a 4k boundary, aka a multiple of 8 logical
sectors.