Subject: nlinum error on multiple emacsclient instances
From: Joe M <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 17:24:19 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I cannot start multiple emacsclient instances due to the below error:

emacsclient -q --alternate-editor="" --create-frame init.el &
[1] 30465
*ERROR*: Invalid face: linum
[1]  + 30465 exit 1     emacsclient -q --alternate-editor="" --create-frame init.el

Multiple emacs instances work fine. This only happens when I try to
open the second emacsclient instance.

This is how I am using linum in my emacs configuration:

(require 'nlinum)
(nlinum-mode 1)
;; without the below line, line numbers do not show when using evil
(add-hook 'find-file-hook 'nlinum-mode)

nlinum-1.5 is the version of nlinum that I am using.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-09/msg00022.html
seems to be a similar issue too.

Thanks
Joe

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > *ERROR*: Invalid face: linum
> [...]
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-09/msg00022.html
> > seems to be a similar issue too.
> 
> Yes, it's the same issue.  AFAIK the above discussion was only on
> emacs-devel and there's no actual bug-report for it, so please
> M-x report-emacs-bug RET (and mention
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-09/msg00022.html, of
> course).
> 
> 
>         Stefan

--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2014-06-10 on master
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11500000
System Description:	Gentoo Base System release 2.2

Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--libdir=/usr/lib64'
 '--disable-silent-rules' '--disable-dependency-tracking'
 '--program-suffix=-emacs-24' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24'
 '--localstatedir=/var'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/../../../../lib64'
 '--with-gameuser=games' '--without-compress-info' '--without-hesiod'
 '--without-kerberos' '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm'
 '--without-dbus' '--without-gnutls' '--without-xml2'
 '--without-selinux' '--without-wide-int' '--with-sound' '--with-x'
 '--without-ns' '--without-gconf' '--with-gsettings'
 '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png'
 '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xpm' '--without-imagemagick'
 '--with-xft' '--without-libotf' '--without-m17n-flt'
 '--with-x-toolkit=lucid' '--without-xaw3d'
 'GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.3-r6'
 'build_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -O2 -pipe -march=corei7-avx -mno-movbe -mno-aes
 -mno-abm -mno-lwp -mno-fma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mno-bmi -mno-tbm
 -mno-avx -mtune=corei7-avx' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed'
 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  eldoc-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  Info-breadcrumbs-in-mode-line-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  flyspell-lazy-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-surround-mode: t
  surround-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  global-pretty-mode: t
  pretty-mode: t
  nlinum-mode: t
  column-enforce-mode: t
  global-highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  global-evil-search-highlight-persist: t
  evil-search-highlight-persist: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m a <return>

Recent messages:
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
[yas] Prepared just-in-time loading for ~/etc/emacs/emacs.d/yas-snippets/
[yas] Reloaded everything (snippets will load just-in-time)....
Loading /home/j/etc/emacs/emacs.d/eshell-config-settings.el (source)...done
Loading /home/j/etc/emacs/emacs.d/eshell-config-prompt.el (source)...done
Loading /home/j/etc/emacs/emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
XZ uncompressing .!home!j!etc!emacs!emacs.d!init.el.~undo-tree~.xz...done
Loading vc-git...done
starting flycheck-buffer

Load-path shadows:
./custom hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/custom

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils vc-git init s
ucs-normalize esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util barrelfish-init
misc-modes google-c-style google-c-style-autoloads ebuild-init
idris-init idris-mode eldoc idris-commands idris-metavariable-list
idris-warnings-tree idris-ipkg-mode idris-info idris-repl idris-prover
inferior-idris idris-warnings idris-log idris-events idris-simple-indent
idris-syntax idris-common-utils idris-settings idris-keys idris-core
idris-compat idris-mode-autoloads haskell-init haskell-mode
haskell-string haskell-sort-imports haskell-align-imports haskell-compat
haskell-complete-module flymake ghci-completion ghc dabbrev ghc-indent
ghc-ins-mod ghc-command ghc-check ghc-doc ghc-info ghc-comp ghc-rewrite
ghc-process ghc-func flycheck-hdevtools flycheck-haskell haskell-cabal
haskell-utils flycheck-haskell-autoloads flycheck-hdevtools-autoloads
ghc-autoloads ghci-completion-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads lisp-init
redshank-loader redshank skeleton paredit paredit-autoloads
redshank-autoloads vendor-init remaining-packages yasnippet sr-speedbar
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe smex savehist register-list info+
ido-yes-or-no ido-ubiquitous hi-lock ido-better-flex ido-hacks flycheck
derived rx pcase jka-compr sh-script smie executable compile
flyspell-lazy dropdown-list dired+ image-dired image-file dired-aux
bookmark+ bookmark+-key dired-x dired bookmark+-1 bookmark+-bmu
help-mode bookmark+-lit bookmark pp ace-jump-mode-autoloads
bookmark+-autoloads dired+-autoloads dropdown-list-autoloads f-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads flyspell-lazy-autoloads ido-better-flex-autoloads
ido-hacks-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads ido-yes-or-no-autoloads
info+-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads register-list-autoloads
s-autoloads smex-autoloads sr-speedbar-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
auto-complete-init auto-complete-config auto-complete cl-macs gv popup
auto-complete-autoloads popup-autoloads format-init etags
volatile-highlights surround smartparens-config smartparens dash
pretty-mode-plus nlinum linum diminish column-enforce-mode cl
backtrace-mode-autoloads column-enforce-mode-autoloads
diminish-autoloads nlinum-autoloads pretty-mode-plus-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads smartparens-autoloads dash-autoloads finder-inf
surround-autoloads volatile-highlights-autoloads mutt-init
muttrc-mode-autoloads org-init org ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat
org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
themes zenburn-theme easy-mmode highlight-parentheses
highlight-parentheses-autoloads ir-black-theme-autoloads
solarized-theme-autoloads tango-2-theme-autoloads
tangotango-theme-autoloads zenburn-theme-autoloads keybindings evil-init
evil-search-highlight-persist evil evil-integration evil-maps
evil-commands evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex
evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove rect
evil-digraphs evil-vars evil-autoloads info
evil-search-highlight-persist-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads
undo-tree-init undo-tree diff undo-tree-autoloads functions warnings
builtins thingatpt tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec
edmacro kmacro w3m-load browse-url uniquify advice help-fns cl-lib
advice-preload whitespace help-at-pt hl-line paren builtins-locations
ido recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu saveplace package-init package
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)