Subject: Re: bug#18537: Problem if folder name includes just '-'
From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:54:51 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 18537 notabug
thanks

On 09/23/2014 04:49 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> may I just not find the solution, but I can not solve the following
> problem, so I guess there is no solution jet.
> 
> I tried to move a folder resp. files in a folder by the mv command.
> 
> Example: mv ------------------------ NewName

POSIX requires, and most applications support, the use of '--' to mark
the end of options, forcing the next argument beginning with '-' to be
treated as a literal name rather than an option:

mv -- ------------------ NewName

Also, you can ALWAYS turn a relative pathname into one anchored by a
substring that does not begin with '-':

mv ./------------------ NewName.

This is a FAQ:
https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/coreutils-faq.html#How-do-I-remove-files-that-start-with-a-dash_003f

Therefore, I'm closing this as not a bug, although you may feel free to
ask further questions.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org