Subject: 24.4.50; EMACS crashes when I try to open Elisp manual
From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:55:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The crash does not happen with the -Q option, only with my init
file. The recipe to make the crash is

C-h
i
m
Elisp
RET

Actually, it is not the Elisp manual as such that is problematic, but
any manual bundled with Emacs causes the crash, while other manuals are
OK. I suspect that the difference is because of the gzipping of these
bundled manual.

I tried to start Emacs from gdb (the latter started from an MSYS
console) but then I got that xbacktrace is not supported. And the crash
happened earlier, just with `C-h i'.

I think I should try with a simpler init file --- to find the smallest
thing causing the crash, but I have not yet done this investigation.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-09-19 on CHOUNEK
Repository revision: 117905 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs --without-jpeg
 --without-tiff --without-gif --without-png 'CPPFLAGS= -DFOR_MSW=1 -I
 C:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/include -I
 C:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src -L
 c:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src'
 CPP=/mingw/bin/cpp.exe
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM SOUND NOTIFY ACL ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSPATH: c:\Programme\NGNU\CVS;C:\Programme\GNU\GnuPG;c:\Programme\apache-ant-1.8.0\bin;c:\msys\1.0\bin;c:\msys\1.0\mingw\bin;
  value of $LANG: FRA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  mail-abbrevs-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
e f v a r SPC c o l ) , SPC e t SPC d e SPC p a s s 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> ' a s s o c i e r SPC d y n a m i q u e 
m e n t r <backspace> SPC l e s SPC s y m b o l SPC 
r o w SPC e t SPC c o l SPC à SPC l e u r SPC a v e 
c <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> v 
a l e u r SPC p o u r SPC l ' a f f i c h i e r <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> e r SPC ( <left> <left> <backspace> 
<backspace> a g f <backspace> e <end> s e s - p r i 
n c <backspace> t - c e l l ) <left> . . . <end> . 
SPC E s t r - <backspace> <backspace> - c e SPC q u 
e SPC t u SPC e r e <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
t e r o u <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
r o u v e SPC <backspace> s SPC q u e SPC c ' e s t 
SPC u n e SPC b o n n e SPC i d é e . <return> <return> 
SPC SPC SPC V i n c e n t . C-c C-s y C-x d <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> P r o <tab> 
m <tab> g n <tab> e m <tab> <return> <down> <down> 
i <down> <down> <down> <down> i <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <next> C-s e l i s <down> <up> 
<return> C-x k <return> M-x r e p o r t - b u <tab> 
<tab> e m <tab> <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Sending email 
Sending email done
250 2.0.0 tkfG1o00K2maGi203kfHFS mail accepted for delivery
221 2.0.0 mwinf5d32 ME closing connection
Sending...done
Deleting article d:/msys/1.0/home/Vincent/News/drafts/drafts/175 in drafts...
Mark set [2 times]
Mark saved where search started
uncompressing elisp.info.gz...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
d:/msys/1.0/home/Vincent/.emacs.d/etc/custom hides c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/custom
c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/loaddefs hides c:/Programme/GNU/installation/cedet-install/cedet/lisp/cedet/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow warnings emacsbug jka-compr misearch multi-isearch dired-aux
mailalias smtpmail qp mail-extr sort gnus-bcklg gnus-cite bbdb-message
sendmail nnir gnus-draft gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nndoc nnfolder bbdb-gnus
bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm network-stream auth-source starttls gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap
nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message dired-x dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr hl-line accents-ascii
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core tex-mik
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads calc-mathfloat calc-math edmacro
kmacro w32utils java-init cl-macs cl gv bsh-init recentf tree-widget
wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib generic-x cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs template mailabbrev
iswitchb cus-start cus-load bbdb easymenu bbdb-site timezone
bbdb-loaddefs calc-misc calc-arith calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs
skeleton load-path-to-cedet-svn time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32notify w32
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 307965 27511)
 (symbols 24 42644 0)
 (miscs 20 1204 784)
 (strings 16 69259 8672)
 (string-bytes 1 2999325)
 (vectors 8 33295)
 (vector-slots 4 1369977 56986)
 (floats 8 261 542)
 (intervals 28 2243 1407)
 (buffers 516 28))