Subject: 24.3.93; A problem with positioning point in horizontally scrolled bidirectional text
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Bug-Gnu-Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:27:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I see the following problem with positioning point in horizontally
scrolled bidirectional text.  To reproduce with Emacs -Q I type

C-u C-h t hebrew RET

split the root window via C-x 3, provoke a horizontal scroll of the left
window by, for example, moving the window's point to the left, move
point of the left window to the "I" of the L2R string EDIT on line 4 and
move my mouse cursor to the according screen position.  At this moment,
my Emacs frame appears as in the first attached screenshot
(mouse-click-ante.png).

Now I try to do `mouse-set-point' by doing <mouse-1>.  The left window
scrolls horizontally back to the position it had before the previous
horizontal scroll and the window's point moves to another position on
the same line as in the second attached screenshot
(mouse-click-post.png).

martin

In GNU Emacs 24.3.93.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2014-08-16 on MACHNO
Repository revision: 117445 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ENU
   locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t