Subject: Re: bug#18247: Cyclic dependencies in (gnu package *) modules
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Eric Bavier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:41:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Another possibility, probably better, would be to split base into two
> modules: one that exports the normal package definitions (the first page
> of base.scm, in terms of C-x n p), and one that exports %final-inputs
> and related stuff (the second page).  Normally the latter will not have
> to be used directly, except by (guix build-system gnu) and related
> stuff.

Commit bdb3695 does that.

It helps a bit already, in that, for instance, adding Guile-Charting and
its dependency on (gnu packages gtk) would have been impossible before,
but here does not cause any problems.

Comments welcome!

I’m closing this bug but we’ll certainly have to keep an eye on it, so
feel free to reopen as you see fit.

Thanks,
Ludo’.