Subject: Re: bug#18127: add-to-load-path adds a path twice
From: Ian Price <[email-masked]>
To: Alex Kost <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 19:36:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Alex Kost <[email-masked]> writes:

> taylanub from #guile explained that it may happen because in the REPL
> the compilation and execution happen in the same session and
> “‘add-to-load-path’ takes care of modifying the path both at
> compile-time and at run-time.” (from manual).

This is correct, it will also happen in scripts if they are
auto-compiled, but you will only see it once on subsequent runs, since
macro-expansion doesn't need to happen again.

The fix is simple, and there is no harm in it, so I've pushed a fix to
stable-2.0.

> Also I have a question: Why there is no ‘add-to-load-compiled-path’?  I
> think such function may also be useful.

Fair question. I have no idea about the answer, but I've not touched
this one. As a general principle, I wouldn't like to see us have a
separate macro for each of these.

Thanks

-- 
Ian Price -- shift-reset.com

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"