Subject: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:29:55 +0200

After 2008-12-11 change to window.el and dired.el that fixed the bug #1488,
I have difficulties using dired.

Before this change, running a dired operation on many files displayed
a pop-up window *below* the dired buffer and immediately *above* the
minibuffer.  This is the most convenient place to display a list of
file names, because it is near the minibuffer where the user types more
input for the command (a shell command or a directory to copy files to).

But now this list of files is displayed somewhere else - on the top of the
side window.  Thus now this list is as far for minibuffer as possible.
This is because `dired-pop-to-buffer' doesn't call `split-window' anymore
that used to split windows vertically even on a wide-screen display.

This is the same problem as I reported in
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/93011/focus=94236
i.e. we need a special option to split windows vertically
where necessary.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/