Subject: 24.3.90; C-x 8 ? displays help instead of inserting INVERTED QUESTION MARK
From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 21:00:12 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The subject says it all: when I type C-x 8 ?, I expect emacs to insert
into the buffer Unicode 191, INVERTED QUESTION MARK.  However, instead
it displays a *Help* buffer whose first line reads

        Key translations Starting With C-x 8:

In GNU Emacs 24.3.90.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.1.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.19)
 of 2014-05-07 on Eric-Hanchrows-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  eldoc-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<backspace> M-\ C-a C-n C-o C-n C-M-d C-M-f C-M-f C-M-f
C-o C-M-f C-M-o C-M-f C-M-o C-M-f C-M-o C-M-f C-M-o
C-M-f C-M-o C-M-f C-M-o C-M-f C-M-o C-M-f C-M-o C-M-f
C-M-o C-M-u C-M-q C-x | C-n C-M-n C-M-o C-M-n C-M-o
C-M-u C-M-q C-n C-n C-n C-n C-e C-a C-p C-M-n C-M-o
C-M-u C-M-q C-n C-M-d C-M-n C-o C-M-n C-o C-M-n C-o
C-M-n C-o C-M-n C-o C-M-n C-o C-M-n C-a C-M-u C-M-u
C-M-u C-M-u C-M-q C-h a p r e t t y <return> C-M-v
C-M-v C-M-v C-x o M-v M-v M-v C-l M-m <return> q C-x
b <return> C-p C-p C-e C-SPC C-M-b M-w M-> M-( c l
- p r e <M-tab> p <M-tab> SPC C-y C-e C-j M-- C-l C-M-p
C-M-k C-M-p C-M-k C-M-k C-x C-o M-- C-l C-u C-u C-p
C-u C-p C-u C-p C-n C-n C-M-d C-M-d C-M-f C-M-f C-M-f
C-M-f C-M-f C-M-f C-M-f C-M-f C-M-f C-M-f C-M-f C-M-u
C-b C-b C-f C-f C-n M-RET M-m C-f C-f C-f C-h i C-x
b <return> M-> i n p u t - d e c o <M-tab> C-j C-h
i q l o c a l - f u n <M-tab> C-j C-x | M-- C-l C-M-p
C-p M-1 M-( c l - p r e t t <M-tab> p <M-tab> SPC C-e
C-M-k C-j C-M-p C-p C-p ; ; SPC C-a C-o C-p C-p ; ;
SPC C-a C-n M-> C-M-p C-p C-p C-f C-f C-f C-SPC C-e
M-w M-> C-u C-y C-h i C-u C-n C-u C-n C-p C-p C-e C-b
C-SPC M-b M-b M-b M-w C-x b <return> C-e C-b C-M-b
C-M-o C-y C-M-k C-e C-j C-M-p M-0 C-l C-v C-v C-v C-v
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-M-u C-M-u
C-M-u C-M-u M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Mark set
Truncate long lines enabled
forward-list: Scan error: "Containing expression ends prematurely", 6598, 6599
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
Mark set [3 times]
M-RET is undefined
Mark set
Truncate long lines disabled
Mark set [6 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail apropos dabbrev debug
iso-transl log-view pcmpl-unix rect mm-archive network-stream starttls
url-cache url-handlers vc-bzr vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc
vc-dispatcher js cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs yaml-mode tar-mode jka-compr
smerge-mode mule-util ffap eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
flyspell ispell browse-kill-ring misearch multi-isearch face-remap woman
man eldoc protbuf gist gh-gist gh-oauth gh-api logito gh-cache pcache
gh-auth gh-common gh-url url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap url-auth url-cookie
url-domsuf url-gw gh-profile timezone eieio-base magit-key-mode magit
view tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete epa epg
epg-config diff-mode git-rebase-mode git-commit-mode log-edit message
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log vc-git derived autorevert filenotify
elisp-slime-nav paste-to-dropbox path server saveplace url-util
url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
url-vars find-func ibuf-ext ibuf-macs ibuffer recentf tree-widget
wid-edit dired-x dired perl-extras perl-mode autoinsert rx elpy
yasnippet help-mode pyvenv grep python nose easy-mmode json idomenu
imenu ido highlight-indentation flymake find-file-in-project cl etags
elpy-refactor auto-complete-config auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup
quack thingatpt compile cmuscheme comint ansi-color ring scheme
color-theme-autoloads fuzzy-autoloads gist-autoloads finder-inf eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
highlight-indentation-autoloads idomenu-autoloads iedit-autoloads
logito-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads info easymenu pcache-autoloads
powerline advice help-fns cl-macs gv powerline-separators color
cl-loaddefs cl-lib powerline-themes quack-autoloads svg-clock-autoloads
typo-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package time midnight time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 781944 201941)
 (symbols 48 57208 0)
 (miscs 40 1866 3163)
 (strings 32 282720 4216)
 (string-bytes 1 5155307)
 (vectors 16 44016)
 (vector-slots 8 1691982 184043)
 (floats 8 380 1720)
 (intervals 56 68888 1320)
 (buffers 960 63))