Subject: 24.3.91; Problem with `emacs --daemon' in cygw32 build
From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 13:50:17 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug was reported in the Cygwin mailing list:

   https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-05/msg00303.html

In a Cygwin terminal, do the following, where "emacs" denotes the cygw32
build of emacs (--with-w32).

1. $ emacs --daemon -Q
2. $ emacsclient -c
3. `C-x 5 0' in the client window to exit the frame.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
5. Attempt to carry out steps 2 and 3 a third time.  The message 
"Waiting for Emacs..." appears in the terminal, but no new frame opens.

This problem is specific to the cygw32 build; it does not happen with 
the X11 build of emacs on Cygwin.  It also doesn't happen if the server 
is started via `M-x server-start' in an existing emacs.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin) of 2014-05-16 on desktop-new
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure
 
--srcdir=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.3.91-1.x86_64/src/emacs-24.3.91
  --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
  --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var
  --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
  --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs/html -C
  --with-w32 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -O2 -pipe -Wimplicit-function-declaration -O0
 
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.3.91-1.x86_64/build=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.3.91-1
 
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.3.91-1.x86_64/src/emacs-24.3.91=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.3.91-1'
  CPPFLAGS= LDFLAGS=-Wl,--stack,0x400000'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix